• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Cancelled at the last minute - Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Cancelled at the last minute - Advice

Howdy all.

There i was, six weeks ago, a happy little contractor, with 2 years on a great contract in Leeds that was coming to an end 1st week in July.
    I get a call from Spring recruitment about a Security role at Experian in Nottingham. Hmmm...bit far but sounds interesting. Go interview, get job, to start 18th June. Notify current employer of leaving date of 15th June. Leaving drinky's, big hangover.

The week i'm leaving the current contract Spring tell me they have minor issues with Experian admin so i'm pursuaded to start a week later on 25th June. Alarm bells humming slightly but it's a big company and Spring are the only agency they deal with. I'm "guranteed" i have the job by Spring and decide to carry on with my plans to leave current contract on 15th June and take a nice week off and build a treehouse for the kids and enjoy the weather ;-)

On Thursday last week, (21st June) i get a text from Spring saying there is bad news. I ring them and the agent explains that they have had a meeting with experian in the morning and that Experian management have kyboshed the contract and decided they need to utilise their existing resource more effectively!

Obviously i was v angry. I don't know who was stiffing me, experian or the agency so i'm digging deeper. The agency were very apologetic and even offred me another role...in blummin Birmingham....miles away.

I dont want to waste too much time recriminating as my efforts are focussed on finding another contract asap, but does anyone think i can sue the SOB's or claim compo for the 3 weeks work i forfeited for this new contract?

I have emails confirming that i have the role but no signed contrcats etc.

Cheers
    Matt

It happens. Move on.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

tulip happens, agent will be pissed as well as he's not getting his cut.

Also there is no contract so who are you going to sue, and what for?

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I _never_ trust anything an agent tells me. A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on....

Still sucks though....
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

got to say the same as everyone else...

happened to me a couple of times... thats business.
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

No signed contract, no deal. I'm assuming you're at the NHS, have a chat about staying on.

Comment

On the plus side there's a contract coming up for a security role in Leeds. Where did I put that CV?
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

You probably left it on a bus. in which case you'll fit right in on the NHS security workstream.

Comment

You win some and u loose some...pick yourself up and forget about it..
                  Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life

Comment

Working...
                  X