• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting chat with accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting chat with accountant

...I setup my Ltd Co last week.

Just had a conversation with the accountant today. HE said its normal practice to pay urself a minimum wage salary, topped up with dividends. Keep the rest in the company. Two years later, if I close the company, its okay. I can recieve the funds and pay only 6% tax on it.

Is the above true.?

I tried searching the forums..but came up with nothing. Does someone have a link where i can read up on this interesting situation.

Read up on taper relief. you can do it, but taper relief is only granted at the discretion of HMRC, with the understanding that you are no longer going to be in business in this field, so if you did it every 2 years you may not be granted it [edit] subsequent times (you'll probably be granted it first time)[/edit].
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It might not be around for the next two years

http://www.shout99.com/contractors/s...le.pl?id=44222

Comment

Avoidance

Originally posted by Ruprect
        Read up on taper relief. you can do it, but taper relief is only granted at the discretion of HMRC, with the understanding that you are no longer going to be in business in this field, so if you did it every 2 years you may not be granted it [edit] subsequent times (you'll probably be granted it first time)[/edit].
        http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ctmanual/CTM36875.htm
        Paragraph e refers

You'd have to stop trading through a company for at least a year and be able to prove that you had no intention of contracting again when you closed down the old company.

Comment

Working...
        X