• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses Whilst Contracting Abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses Whilst Contracting Abroad

I worked in Europe for a little while using a management co in which ( i think ! ) i became an empolyee of the management co. Some of my wages were paid in the local country in which i paid local tax - some where paid offshore in which i paid no tax. I have to put in a disclosure form in which i disclose all my offshore earnings. Does anyone know if i can claim expenses against the wages i got paid? i.e flights to/from uk,accomodation abroad,food,laptop...etc

might be heading off down the garden path, but the info i've got is that treat the time working o/s as working away from home (as long as it's in the 24 month rule).

for instance, my co. is in the UK, yet i'm working in the US. i get paid from the US to my UK co. (IoM bank acct). my accom expenses, food (some of it) is all expensed to the co.

think of it this way, if you were a permie (god forbid) and worked for, say, IBM. you were based out of London, and they sent you to a job in Paris. Everything you expensed for being in Paris (accom, meals, travel) you'd invoice your boss (IBM), so, running your own co. you do the same thing.

HTH (probably not!)

Comment

Working...
    X