• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Found a contract without using an Agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a contract without using an Agency

Hi,
    I started contracting in the last week, and found my contract through an old contact. Therefore I have not used an agency. I have contacted several umbrella companies and they have stated that I will need to go through an agent.
    Is this the law? or just the umbrella company policy i have contacted?
    Please forgive my ignorance, but its been hard trying to understand it from the web resources i have read.

Thanks in advance.
    Piggie

Go LTD

HTH

Comment

is that my only choice? I am sure this will take some time and I would like to get paid in the next few weeks

Comment

Originally posted by piggie_in_the_middle
        is that my only choice? I am sure this will take some time and I would like to get paid in the next few weeks
        going ltd should only take a week to set up co, bank a/c and accountant - speak to SJD or Nixon Williams they should sort you out sharpish.

VAT & PAYE can take a few weeks but if these are in progress you can still "collect money"..
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
          VAT ... can take a few weeks but if these are in progress you can still "collect money"..
          months more like at the mo.... still, shouldn't stop you as you can always state that VAT will be charged at a later date when the cert comes through.
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Try some other umbrellas..

Failing that, setting up a Ltd should be quick - just use a high street bank rather than Cater Allen (will be recommended by many) as they may still have a gigantic backlog.. VAT reg will take about half a year but no need for that just to invoice and get paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect
              months more like at the mo.... still, shouldn't stop you as you can always state that VAT will be charged at a later date when the cert comes through.
              VAT may not be required..depends if revenue is expected to be over the threshhold

Comment

Sounds like you've spoken to the wrong umbrellas. My current contract is direct with the client, and the umbrella I work through didn't bat an eyelid.

Not sure I'd recommend them as some people here seem to think they suck (I've had no problems over the last two years, though.) Still, try Oxygen360 and they shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

Parasol have no problem with you going direct.

Comment

Working...
                  X