• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Camper-van/Motorhome

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camper-van/Motorhome

I'm planning on travelling round Europe for 3months+ and was going to do it in a motorhome. Has anyone done something similar? Am looking for some advice. Was thinking of hiring, but the prices are ridiculous, then looking at buying, but also quite high. I've got a budget of about 10K, but doesn't seem to get you very much. I'm guessing it would be cheaper to buy it or hire it mainland Europe?Tips, advice, anecdotes all appreciated!

You would spend less on cheap hotels.....I di it by car some time ago and stayed in guesthouses etc and spent a lot less...meant I had more for beer!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
      You would spend less on cheap hotels.....I di it by car some time ago and stayed in guesthouses etc and spent a lot less...meant I had more for beer!!!!!
      Well I'm planning on doing this from dec-april, basing myself in ski resorts as I'll be hopefully boarding the whole time. Thing is there are NO cheap hotels/motels in ski resorts, well France/Switzerland/Austria. I'm guessing Eastern Europe will be dirt cheap.

Comment

I'm doing the same soon, middled aged gap year thing.

Having thought about all the options I'm going for the 2 tent option and a diesel esate (A6). Small tent for quick overnighter, large tent for longer stays.

Then stop at a few good hotels with a spa etc to revitalise.

Trouble with motor home is packing your home up to nip into town, unless you have a moped on the back.

HTH
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon

Having thought about all the options I'm going for the 2 tent option and a diesel esate (A6). Small tent for quick overnighter, large tent for longer stays.

Trouble with motor home is packing your home up to nip into town, unless you have a moped on the back.

HTH
          Yeah don't think I could handle a tent for 3 months with my missus. Besides I'll be in high altitude ski resorts in winter, -25 and tents don't mix!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon

HTH
            Get yerself a 4x4 diesel, fit a roof tent to the top.... sorted ( Burdock )
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

A motor home is going to be cold at -25, Yeah I'm going April to Oct, hopefully 2009 (got to wait for kids to grow up).
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                Get yerself a 4x4 diesel, fit a roof tent to the top.... sorted ( Burdock )
                Would that be a 10 year old 4x4?

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
                  Would that be a 10 year old 4x4?
                  Double Bonus if it is
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                    Double Bonus if it is
                    Cool, I have one of those...woohoo.....

FrogIsland4x4 do adventure trailers that look very good!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X