• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can Limited Company Secretary contract themself

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Limited Company Secretary contract themself

I'm in the process of getting myself set-up to start a first contract. Probably going the Limited Company route. If I'm Director and make my wife Co Secretary, does this exclude her from being able to contract herself at a later date? Would she have to become a director beforehand?

Can't see any reason why she can't.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

No. As an employee of your company you can ship her out to work to earn the company money. She would only be able to be paid like an employee though - i.e. through PAYE. To be able to draw dividends, she would have to become a director.
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin
        To be able to draw dividends, she would have to become a director.
        Is there a smiley for that Family Fortunes noise?

To draw dividends she needs to be a shareholder, nothing to do with being a director.

Also nothing to stop her starting her own contracting company, and you being her Co. Sec. for that (which might be a better answer than both using the same).
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Thanks for your prompt answers.

If I've understood your posts, my wife could be the Company Secretary, I can push her out to work, and as long as she holds shares she can draw a dividend. If we held equal shares do we have to take equal dividends?

I was thinking if we both contract under the one company name then it would better meet IR35 tests.

Comment

She can be a secretary as well as adirector. You can file online.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
              To draw dividends she needs to be a shareholder, nothing to do with being a director.
              Oh yes. Pardon my retardness.
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

If we held equal shares do we have to take equal dividends?
                Equal shares then equal divis. It's only fair.
                Too close for missiles, I'm switching to guns.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick
                  Equal shares then equal divis. It's only fair.
                  It's the law. And it makes sense: as in "share".
                  God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by NewMan
                    Thanks for your prompt answers.

If I've understood your posts, my wife could be the Company Secretary, I can push her out to work, and as long as she holds shares she can draw a dividend. If we held equal shares do we have to take equal dividends?

I was thinking if we both contract under the one company name then it would better meet IR35 tests.
                    Remember that dividends are NOT a reward for work; they are a share of the company profits. So a shareholder will receive a proportional share of any dividend paid, quite independently of whether she does any work or not.
                    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Working...
                    X