• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses as percentage of income

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses as percentage of income

Hey there,

Been looking at my expenses etc for the year just gone and was just curious about the percentages other people get...

No rocket science , just a ball park for some general categories.

For example, my income before tax was 80k. I had approx 11k expenses. So my expenses were around 14% of my pre tax income. A percentage may not be the best indicator though because if I was on a 50% higher rate, I would have made 120k and still only had 11k expenses (I see no reason why they would go up)...

Anyway, if I break down the 11k then that goes on things like phone (12%), office costs (41%), travel (21%), general other. Jeez, when I actually put it down like that I'm thinking some of these are way too high, better make sure they are correct!

So, what's the deal for others out there?

Originally posted by mashetti
    Hey there,

Been looking at my expenses etc for the year just gone and was just curious about the percentages other people get...

No rocket science , just a ball park for some general categories.

For example, my income before tax was 80k. I had approx 11k expenses. So my expenses were around 14% of my pre tax income. A percentage may not be the best indicator though because if I was on a 50% higher rate, I would have made 120k and still only had 11k expenses (I see no reason why they would go up)...

Anyway, if I break down the 11k then that goes on things like phone (12%), office costs (41%), travel (21%), general other. Jeez, when I actually put it down like that I'm thinking some of these are way too high, better make sure they are correct!

So, what's the deal for others out there?
    You had over 4k office costs? What's that for?
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Phone seems pretty high too!

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
        You had over 4k office costs? What's that for?
        proportion of rent perhaps?

Comment

I charged nothing for office costs (used to claim a couple of hundred a year but now think it's not worth the paperwork.) I also spend zero on business phone calls and zero on travelling. So my expenses are, on the whole, zero.

The only thing other than my accountant the company now pays for is web-site hosting and new bits of PC hardware. PC Hardware roughly equates to a new PC every five years or so. In the past I've also spent money on software and training.

Comment

Working...
          X