• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to account for bank error?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to account for bank error?

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, we received £2000 in our company account (Cater Allen) that was a mistake. We don't know where the money came from. Cater Allen don't seem to know (or seem interested). This happened about 6 months ago.

How do we account for this on our annual accounts? At the moment the money is just sitting in our bank account in case the bank ask for it back again. If they don't by the time it is our year end, how should we deal with this money on our accounts?

i can advise you on what to do with it. my fee will be £2000. send me a pm .

Comment

What did the bank say when you informed them 6 months ago that they had mistakenly deposited 2000 pounds into your company account?

Comment

Bank Accounts

Should sit on the balance sheet as a debtor as it is likely to taken back at some point! This is if you are doing the year end accounts....if left in the bank account rec, the cash position will be incorrect.

Even if left as unallocated cash, it still means that is it sat on the balance sheet, it's just where it is categorised.

If it relates to one of your customers then should be allocated as such.

Which book keeping system do you use.
        Last edited by Darren@UptonAccountants; 20 July 2007, 16:01.

Comment

They said it was not their mistake and suggested we look through our clients to see who owed us that money. Obviously being a contractor I only have a few clients and a handful of sales invoices. All of which are for monthly services (i.e. £10k plus) and have VAT added. This was just a flat payment of £2000 into our account.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren@1stAccountancyServ
            Should sit on the balance sheet as a debtor as it is likely to taken back at some point!
            Actually no..... (btw based on that advice I hope you are not actually an accountant??)

If it was a bank error it should be a reconciling item on your bank reconciliation and shouldn't even be included in your balance sheet. Your balance sheet should represent what's in your trial balance/cashbook not whats on your bank statement.

If you think it does relate to one of your clients and did want to include it as part of your bank balance then you would either need to put a credit for 'unallocated cash' against any debtors balance you currently have or if you have no debtors at year end then set up a corresponding creditor balance (not a debtor!!!) on your balance sheet and label it as 'Accrued revenue' or 'Income received in advance'.

Hope that helps
            Last edited by JKnz; 20 July 2007, 14:20.

Comment

Originally posted by oxtailsoup
              They said it was not their mistake and suggested we look through our clients to see who owed us that money. Obviously being a contractor I only have a few clients and a handful of sales invoices. All of which are for monthly services (i.e. £10k plus) and have VAT added. This was just a flat payment of £2000 into our account.
              Not their mistake? What a change from the usual bank nonsense...Get it in writing...that way when they come back to you in 8-9 months you can say it's not their mistake and have the paperwork to prove it!

Something tells me that you'll have to pay it back at some point though...

As to how it should show up in the company account...what does your accountant say?
              -When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris.

Comment

Originally posted by oxtailsoup
                They said it was not their mistake and suggested we look through our clients to see who owed us that money.
                I was really wondering if the bank could tell you where it came from. Don't think that's a secret usually?

Comment

bet its money laundering money. watch out for mr big.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren@1stAccountancyServ
                    Should sit on the balance sheet as a debtor as it is likely to taken back at some point! This is if you are doing the year end accounts....if left in the bank account rec, the cash position will be incorrect.

Even if left as unallocated cash, it still means that is it sat on the balance sheet, it's just where it is categorised.

If it relates to one of your customers then should be allocated as such.

Which book keeping system do you use.
                    If it is to be taken back at some point then shouldn't it be in your balance sheet as a creditor and not a debtor?????

And if you are including it in your cash balance (which you appear to have every right to) you are going to need to make a credit entry to somewhere, either 1) revenue if you are sure its revenue you have not billed, 2) unallocated cash if you are not yet sure to which debtor it relates or 3) a creditor to reflect that it isnt your companys money and is to be paid out in the near future.

However if you are 100% sure it's not yours and it is a bank error I would not account for it as part of your bank balance and leave it as a reconciling item. Despite the quoted comment above and the fact these unknown funds are in your bank account, this will be the true cash position of your company as the funds are not yours.

All comes down to whether you are comfortable that the funds are your companys or not......the bank says its not a mistake so hey they may well be.
                    Last edited by JKnz; 20 July 2007, 17:01.

Comment

Working...
                    X