• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Conduct Regulations 2003 Opt Out - What is it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conduct Regulations 2003 Opt Out - What is it?

I've got this page attatched to the back of my current contract extension and although I've searched on the forums for an explaination of what it is, am still a little confused.

Can anybody please tell me (in Layman's terms) what this actually is? I know it's nothing to do with IR35 and my agency said "just leave it", but I would still like to know.

Thanks.

We have done this a lot. Search the threads.

You need to understand the regs, your agent does not want you to be well informed.

Read, learn and inwardly digest: http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file24248.pdf
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
      We have done this a lot. Search the threads.

You need to understand the regs, your agent does not want you to be well informed.

Read, learn and inwardly digest: http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file24248.pdf
      Thanks for the link and I will give it a read, but in the meantime, can anybody offer that request of a Layman's interpretation?

Comment

Originally posted by syn
        Thanks for the link and I will give it a read, but in the meantime, can anybody offer that request of a Layman's interpretation?
        Jeez, search for "Agency Regulations" or "Opt out" on this forum and see what turns up. But just in case, the latest posting from me is here:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/showp...39&postcount=4
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
          Jeez, search for "Agency Regulations" or "Opt out" on this forum and see what turns up. But just in case, the latest posting from me is here:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/showp...39&postcount=4
          Again, thanks for the reply but this link still doesn't explain to me what it is.

If you rescan my first post you'll see that I already have searched the forums and I am confused as to what the Conduct Regulations 2003 actually are and what purpose they have.

Any further advice appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by syn
            Again, thanks for the reply but this link still doesn't explain to me what it is.

If you rescan my first post you'll see that I already have searched the forums and I am confused as to what the Conduct Regulations 2003 actually are and what purpose they have.

Any further advice appreciated.
            So which bit of "The agency regs are primarily intended to protect the interests of agency workers (like office temps, that kind of worker) and not contractors as we understand the term." do you not understand?

The full text is on the DTI website and believe me it's not an easy read - but the preamble to the guidance they issue contains "The Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003 (the Regulations) govern the conduct of the private recruitment industry and establish a framework of minimum standards that clients, both work-seekers and hirers, are entitled to expect". There's also a detailed guide on the PCG website, if you're a member.

95% of its provisions are totally immaterial to the average IT contractor - are you concerned about holiday pay, retentions for sick pay, hours of service before overtime is due, greivance procedures with your employer...?.

The only bit that matters to you as an contractor is the opt out and why you need to consider it, and that is breifly explained in the post I originally referred to.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks I'll give it a thorough read. Looks like I may have a busy night ahead!

Comment

Working...
              X