• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice required

Hi Guys

Im new to this forum and need a little education on the life of a contractor.

Ive been contracted to a company for the past 15 months now and with all the changes to system I'm a little worried about getting my next tax bill. I recieved the first quater about 2 weeks ago anb it was only £5.12p. I assume this is because i havnt earned enougth for me goverment to tax me loads yet.

I would like to know what i can claim for as this is stressing me out a bit.

Gareth

Are you a Ltd company or going through an Umbrella service ?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
      Are you a Ltd company or going through an Umbrella service ?
      Im not 100% mate, It all goes through Brookson, but i think im limited. and forgive me if this statment is wrong " im the director of the company so does this mean im limited or umbrella"?

Comment

Originally posted by gareth01422
        Im not 100% mate, It all goes through Brookson, but i think im limited. and forgive me if this statment is wrong " im the director of the company so does this mean im limited or umbrella"?
        If you are a director then PAYE is calculated differently, I think what happens [ although anaccountant will tell you ] is that you use up your allownace first before paying tax, whereas with a normal employee the allowance is spread over a whole year so the payment is the same each month/qtr.

I'd suggest you ring Brookson, if you are on min wage + divi, they should be able to provide you with a PAYE payment schedule for the whole year.

Hope that helps...
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

I think that;s true for NI but not PAYE. If you're paying yourself only slightly above the income tax threshold though, you will have a very low tax bill.
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
            If you are a director then PAYE is calculated differently, I think what happens [ although anaccountant will tell you ] is that you use up your allownace first before paying tax, whereas with a normal employee the allowance is spread over a whole year so the payment is the same each month/qtr.

I'd suggest you ring Brookson, if you are on min wage + divi, they should be able to provide you with a PAYE payment schedule for the whole year.

Hope that helps...
            Ah right

well thats how i used to get paid before, min wage and divi. Now they opened a new bank account in the name of "brookson (number)" and i get a lot more money in my account than i did before. including the VAT from the agengcy.

(sorry about the spelling - I'm an Engineer)

Gareth

Comment

Gareth
              I assume (as you're with Brookson) that you are paying yourself a directors salary of about £106 a week. The annual tax and NI bill on this ''salary'' will obviously be very low.

The rest of your income will be via dividends (after corporation tax has been allowed for). You will not pay any further personal tax on dividends paid out until you reach the higher rate tax band. Then you will be liable for higher rate tax, which the tax man will demand off you after you submit your personal tax return for that year.

I assume Brookson will tell you each week/month what your liability for higher rate tax is.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderson
                Gareth
                I assume (as you're with Brookson) that you are paying yourself a directors salary of about £106 a week. The annual tax and NI bill on this ''salary'' will obviously be very low.

The rest of your income will be via dividends (after corporation tax has been allowed for). You will not pay any further personal tax on dividends paid out until you reach the higher rate tax band. Then you will be liable for higher rate tax, which the tax man will demand off you after you submit your personal tax return for that year.

I assume Brookson will tell you each week/month what your liability for higher rate tax is.
                I think it would be best if i arranged a meeting with brookson and ask them to explain whats going on.

I know this a really ignorant way of doing things, but i get an amount of money in the bank, i pay myself out of that money, and leave some in for tax. which isnt a lot i must admit. I think i really need to sort this out.

thanks for the help guys.

Comment

I think it would be best if i arranged a meeting with brookson and ask them to explain whats going on.

I know this a really ignorant way of doing things, but i get an amount of money in the bank, i pay myself out of that money, and leave some in for tax. which isnt a lot i must admit. I think i really need to sort this out.

thanks for the help guys.
                  Good idea - try reading up a bit as well. I found this really useful (free to non-clients of SJD as well).
                  Last edited by Contractor UK; 30 July 2021, 12:02.

Comment

including the VAT from the agengcy.
                    Do not mess with the VAT man.

And again just to force the point:-

DO NOT MESS WITH THE VAT MAN

If you think that paying the wrong amount of tax is painful, you haven't seen anything until you've been reamed by the VAT man.
                    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                    X