• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Telly/Phone/Optional broadband HELP!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telly/Phone/Optional broadband HELP!

Actually, this is serious(ish).

My GF's dad has just moved to this country and into a new flat. He's not loaded (at all) and he really likes his cricket.

What's the best package for combi phone/TV (with as much cricket as possible within reason) with the option to add t'internet later once I've built a PC for him (or with the price so low it doesn't matter if he doesn't use the net connection for a little while)?

He has just got the flat so no phone line or anything, blank slate.

I saw Sky's prices and they're winning so far. Anyone got a better idea? Would really appreciate it if I could get him a good deal with your help as his pension's not as great as ours may possibly be.

Sky.

Comment

GF dad from another country,"likes cricket"

is this why you get so uptight anytime someone discusses uncontrolled immigration

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts

is this why you get so uptight anytime someone discusses uncontrolled immigration
        No, it's because I thought you were being a racist ****.

He has a British passport, born here, ex-expat.

Comment

You don't have to be foreign to get pleasure out of winding up racist biggots.

Comment

your GFs dads on a penison ! how olds your GF

Comment

your GFs dads on a penison ! how olds your GF
              Old enough, man-child.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                4 for £40 with NTL...

I can't believe I said that...
                Does that include the sports package?

You'll need Sky sports 1,2 and 3 to get all the cricket - so it's either Sky or Virgin Media.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
                  Actually, this is serious(ish).

My GF's dad has just moved to this country and into a new flat. He's not loaded (at all) and he really likes his cricket.

What's the best package for combi phone/TV (with as much cricket as possible within reason) with the option to add t'internet later once I've built a PC for him (or with the price so low it doesn't matter if he doesn't use the net connection for a little while)?

He has just got the flat so no phone line or anything, blank slate.

I saw Sky's prices and they're winning so far. Anyone got a better idea? Would really appreciate it if I could get him a good deal with your help as his pension's not as great as ours may possibly be.
                  The service that I have is with Tiscali (previously Homechoice, this only used to be available in London and home counties, don't know if that has changed since Tiscali took over).

You get Telephone, Broadband and TV down the phoneline. The basic package is £15 a month, which gets you 2MB broadband, most of the freeview channels and a few more, plus some on demand stuff. But you need to pay BT £10 a month too for the line. SKY Sports 1,2,3+Xtra is an optional extra at an additional £26 a month.

It means you don't need a dish, which in my case was important as the freeholder of the building does not allow dishes to be attached.

Over the years I have had cable (local company that was subsequently taken over by telewest), Sky (but not for broadband) and now Tiscali.

For reliability I found cable was the best, but remember that was not one of the big boys.
                  Sky only ever went down once (it had been very windy and the dish had moved!).
                  Tiscali has been the flakiest, but it is not too bad, and I think since Tiscali has taken over the service has actually improved. In the early days there were a couple of line problems which turned out to be BT's fault. The remote control died once which was my fault, and the two year old set top box died last week. It was replaced within two days. Once in a while the TV service goes down for a couple of hours, but not recently.

Comment

Sky

£35 a month for Sky TV with Sports
                    £10 a month for BT line.

Broadband is free (2mb) (extra £5 gets you 8mb)
                    Free UK phone calls.

One of fee for equipment (£30+ depending on Sky, Sky+ or Sky HD)

If you phone Sky up you can usually haggle a bit on the cost of the equipment.

I think it works out about the same from Virgin Media. At least with Sky you know the channels arn't going to dissapear like Sky One did on Virgin Media.
                    Last edited by Ollie; 1 August 2007, 09:36.

Comment

Working...
                    X