PDA

View Full Version : Swimming pool discrimination

XTC
1st August 2007, 09:15
The pool I swim in started having women only nights a few months ago. This was mostly for the Muslim women in the area. Someone has obviously complained because we have men only nights now and the pool is closed to the public one night for scuba diving. So there is now only one night where women and men can swim together in harmony... and that's saturday. What a joke..

The Lone Gunman
1st August 2007, 09:17
The pool I swim in started having women only nights a few months ago. This was mostly for the Muslim women in the area. Someone has obviously complained because we have men only nights now and the pool is closed to the public one night for scuba diving. So there is now only one night where women and men can swim together in harmony... and that's saturday. What a joke..Sharia by proxy.
You should try asking for a straight only night as you dont like being lusted after by all the gays. I tried that at th estudent union exec meeting, what a laugh.

XTC
1st August 2007, 09:22
Sharia by proxy.
You should try asking for a straight only night as you dont like being lusted after by all the gays. I tried that at th estudent union exec meeting, what a laugh.

:rollin:

Well I don't think that would work. I could ask for a gay night, which they would have to approve then to please all the straight people they would have to have a straight night. Then there's the lesbians...

The Lone Gunman
1st August 2007, 09:30
:rollin:

Well I don't think that would work. I could ask for a gay night, which they would have to approve then to please all the straight people they would have to have a straight night. Then there's the lesbians...That is the route we took to show how ridiculous the gay rights (and to some extent womens issues) movement was getting.
Gays and Lesbians can share the same night as neither is attractive to the other.

BoredBloke
1st August 2007, 09:34
Why not see if you can come up with more than 7 - that will confuse them.

Then see who the discriminate against because they can't start adding extra nights to the week.

The Lone Gunman
1st August 2007, 09:40
Why not see if you can come up with more than 7 - that will confuse them.

Then see who the discriminate against because they can't start adding extra nights to the week.As the defence for seperate changing areas and nights for swimming is based on who lusts after who then the gay and lesbian community could ask for individual (as in per person) nights and cubicles as everyone from their sexual orientation could be regarded as a lustful set of eyes.

Pondlife
1st August 2007, 09:48
I tried that at th estudent union exec meeting, what a laugh.

Mate of mine (bloke) tried to run for womens officer under the slogan

'He's not a women but he knows how they feel' :D

richard-af
1st August 2007, 10:11
What about pre-op transgender bisexuals? Fair's fair.

DS23
1st August 2007, 10:12
there's a local sportcentre here and its swimming pool is nudist only

DS23
1st August 2007, 10:14
and no, there wasn't a viewing gallery.

XTC
1st August 2007, 10:15
and no, there wasn't a viewing gallery.

Yeah I can just imagine it full of bikini clad, suntanned babes....NOT!

TheFaQQer
1st August 2007, 10:15
there's a local sportcentre here and its swimming pool is nudist only

Where's "here"??

XTC
1st August 2007, 10:21
And something else... there were kiddies swimming classes and some poor six year old was swimming in her Muslim pyjamas, really struggling to stay afloat. She wasn't a bad swimmer, but was weighed down with her stupid clothes. All the proud parents were watching and I really wanted to say something to her parents. Fine she can pray to Mecca 5 times a day and only eat Halal meat, but don't make her swim in her clothes.

DS23
1st August 2007, 10:25
Yeah I can just imagine it full of bikini clad, suntanned babes....NOT!

actually, because it is a sportscentre with gym, tennis, rowing, squash etc. rather than a leisure centre it does actually have a better, fitter looking class of clientel....

XTC
1st August 2007, 10:28
actually, because it is a sportscentre with gym, tennis, rowing, squash etc. rather than a leisure centre it does actually have a better, fitter looking class of clientel....

Ah ok. Well my pool is in Tower Hamlets, London's most deprived borough. The 'clientel' that frequent the local baths have limited knowledge of diet and nutrition, if you catch my drift.

Burdock
1st August 2007, 10:53
Fine she can pray to Mecca 5 times a day and only eat Halal meat, but don't make her swim in her clothes.

poor kid! :(

Pondlife
1st August 2007, 10:59
I'm sorry but I fail to see how having women only swimming nights at the local baths is a 'muslim' issue FFS. :rolleyes:

Most leisure centres have single sex nights these days. And as for the muslim PJs comment. I've seen quite a number of egyptian ladies in 'full' swimming costumes and they're nothing like PJs and are probably easier to swim in than my wetsuit.

XTC
1st August 2007, 11:18
I'm sorry but I fail to see how having women only swimming nights at the local baths is a 'muslim' issue FFS. :rolleyes:

Most leisure centres have single sex nights these days. And as for the muslim PJs comment. I've seen quite a number of egyptian ladies in 'full' swimming costumes and they're nothing like PJs and are probably easier to swim in than my wetsuit.

Yes it is, it's virtually 100% Muslim women that go on these women only nights. In fact non-muslim women have stopped going on these womens only nights because they feel initimidated. Other women can't go because they are not allowed to take their young male children and couples can't go. All so some minority group won't be offended. And no the PJ's are exactly what I said they are. They are not figure hugging and certainly are not made of lycra or neoprene with zero (in fact negative) flotation. You might be thinking of the new Hijabkini, but still this has a massive amount of drag.

We can turn this into some big religious debate, but at the end of the day the pool I go to at some point was a unisex 24/7, it now has 3 women only nights 2 men only nights, 1 scuba night and 1 unisex night. As far as I can see this has come about because Muslim women don't want to swim with men, they called for women only nights and to appease men they now have men only nights. One night a week I can now swim in the same pool as my gf...

Burdock
1st August 2007, 11:22
One night a week I can now swim in the same pool as my gf...

In her nightie I hope mate :rolleyes:

realityhack
1st August 2007, 11:37
XTC I've seen you say you're Muslim before - you must be a moderate to share these views, go swimming with your gf etc?

It is a little difficult with all this PC 'please everybody' nonsense, because you can't please everybody, for whatever reason they want to be set apart. I honestly don't know where all this is going to end up - and it makes a mockery of multiculturalism, as the divisions NL have embraced have only divided society further IMHO.

XTC
1st August 2007, 11:43
XTC I've seen you say you're Muslim before - you must be a moderate to share these views, go swimming with your gf etc?

It is a little difficult with all this PC 'please everybody' nonsense, because you can't please everybody, for whatever reason they want to be set apart. I honestly don't know where all this is going to end up - and it makes a mockery of multiculturalism, as the divisions NL have embraced have only divided society further IMHO.

No I'm not Muslim, I was probably p**ing about. I'm an Ozzie and Oz is very multicultural, but we are a lot more sensible with it. The whole women only, men only bullsh**t it's pathetic it really is. And this is case it's coming from Muslim women wanting women only nights. I don't have a problem with Muslims, but in this instance they have turned a public pool into some stupid PC sh**te pool. No-one else has.

realityhack
1st August 2007, 11:49
No I'm not Muslim, I was probably p**ing about. I'm an Ozzie and Oz is very multicultural, but we are a lot more sensible with it. The whole women only, men only bullsh**t it's pathetic it really is. And this is case it's coming from Muslim women wanting women only nights. I don't have a problem with Muslims, but in this instance they have turned a public pool into some stupid PC sh**te pool. No-one else has.
Ah, K.

It's not the race/religion/orientation of anyone I have any issue with either - just the ridiculous segregation and PC nonsense surrounding it. I wish a sensible ideology would take this problem head-on, properly.

richard-af
1st August 2007, 11:59
The idea of a faith-related admittance policy at a Public swimming pool is beyond parody. But not beyond being allowed by a bunch of Council turdies, whose only purpose in life is to balance-out any real intelligence and ability in Society.

I take it that those women aren't billed separately for their exclusive use of the pool? No, thought not. Couldn't be that the Borough at large will (by dint of Council Tax) do that, as effing per, could it?

DimPrawn
1st August 2007, 12:04
Why don't you put an exercise pool in your garden?

http://www.splashandrelax.co.uk/acatalog/wooden-exercise-pool.html

XTC
1st August 2007, 12:06
Why don't you put an exercise pool in your garden?

http://www.splashandrelax.co.uk/acatalog/wooden-exercise-pool.html

Actually I swam in one of those.. but they're a bit like a treadmill.

Pondlife
1st August 2007, 12:09
The idea of a faith-related admittance policy at a Public swimming pool is beyond parody.

Eh, now this is really getting silly.

Where has anyone said that they have a faith-related admittance policy?

Tower hamlets have a women only policy for 2.5 hours per week

http://www.towerhamlets-sports.org.uk/default.aspx?mi=33&navtitle=Womens+activities

Which the OP said is due to muslim women not wanting to swim with men - not sure how he knows that though.

Clippy
1st August 2007, 12:12
Ah ok. Well my pool is in Tower Hamlets, London's most deprived borough. The 'clientel' that frequent the local baths have limited knowledge of diet and nutrition, if you catch my drift.

In which case, this is probably their weekly bath!

As an aside, I'm not sure how true it is that this was forced on the pool by the female muslim population.

On similar lines, there is a (small) chain of gyms (http://www.ladyzone.co.uk/) for females only.

I think it is fair to say, most of these initiatives are demand led.

Edit: Just came across this example (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6521703.stm) of a men's only article.
Does that mean only male Christians allowed to join the mentioned establishments?

XTC
1st August 2007, 12:15

http://www.towerhamlets-sports.org.uk/default.aspx?mi=33&navtitle=Womens+activities

Which the OP said is due to muslim women not wanting to swim with men - not sure how he knows that though.

I went down for a swim on a womens only night not realising and saw a pool with 40 Muslim women swimming in it and no non-muslims. I sat down and thought for a while and then came to the startling conclusion that perhaps Muslim women had 'suggested' this to the council. Crazy as it sounds.

richard-af
1st August 2007, 12:16

OK, OK. Then I'll keep it in reserve until it's true! Which will be, I suspect, in about a week :wink

Ardesco
1st August 2007, 12:18
I went down for a swim on a womens only night not realising and saw a pool with 40 Muslim women swimming in it and no non-muslims. I sat down and thought for a while and then came to the startling conclusion that perhaps Muslim women had 'suggested' this to the council. Crazy as it sounds.

So you aren't allowed to swim with them but you are allowed to sit by the poolside and watch them swim???

Surely this defeats the whole object of a womens only night ?

XTC
1st August 2007, 12:24
So you aren't allowed to swim with them but you are allowed to sit by the poolside and watch them swim???

Surely this defeats the whole object of a womens only night ?

Nah they have windows. They can stop me swimming, but they can't stop me watching them.

Ardesco
1st August 2007, 13:08
Just get a bunch of lads to wander down to the swimming pool and crowd round the windows cheering every ladies swimming night then. they'll soo stop using them and as the pool is getting know money they will be abolished.

Job done!

:banana:

Pondlife
1st August 2007, 13:15
What's the point if they're all wearing PJs?

Ardesco
1st August 2007, 13:18
What's the point if they're all wearing PJs?

Well whats the point of ladies only swimming nights if they are all wearing PJs ?

SallyAnne
1st August 2007, 13:20
Yes it is, it's virtually 100% Muslim women that go on these women only nights. In fact non-muslim women have stopped going on these womens only nights because they feel initimidated. Other women can't go because they are not allowed to take their young male children and couples can't go. All so some minority group won't be offended. And no the PJ's are exactly what I said they are. They are not figure hugging and certainly are not made of lycra or neoprene with zero (in fact negative) flotation. You might be thinking of the new Hijabkini, but still this has a massive amount of drag.

We can turn this into some big religious debate, but at the end of the day the pool I go to at some point was a unisex 24/7, it now has 3 women only nights 2 men only nights, 1 scuba night and 1 unisex night. As far as I can see this has come about because Muslim women don't want to swim with men, they called for women only nights and to appease men they now have men only nights. One night a week I can now swim in the same pool as my gf...

I've always gone swimming, and every pool I've ever been into has had 2 women-only nights per week. Some have had 2 men-only nights too, but most have had the rest unisex.
3 women-only nights seem a bit much, but thats obviously your area - obviously more women are swimming than men.

Its got feck all to do with muslims though - most lasses dont like swimming with blokes. Blokes fit into 3 types in swimming pools: -

agressive front crawlers, who ram into you
creepy wierdos who always seem to swim under water
smelly old blokes.

sasguru
1st August 2007, 13:21
Well whats the point of ladies only swimming nights if they are all wearing PJs ?

It's like a wet T-shirt contest for the Muslim men. Better than when they're wearing burkas, I s'pose.
Hmmm Plan B - charge the Muslim men to watch!

barely_pointless
1st August 2007, 13:22
Just get a bunch of lads to wander down to the swimming pool and crowd round the windows cheering every ladies swimming night then. they'll soo stop using them and as the pool is getting know money they will be abolished.

Job done!

:banana:

Just what I was thinking, get Mailman and 2uk to nip down in their speedo budgie smugglers, gape at the window and perhaps as a coupe de grace, crack one off........ job done :bluelight , and if they have problems afterwards, they can always plead insanity and use this board as evidence of their long term acute and persistant condition :freaky:

Burdock
1st August 2007, 13:23
has nobody considered that it's actually a life-saving class, and they are practising saving bricks in their jim-jams?

you'll be grateful when you fall into difficulties in a waterway in a predominantly Muslim area :rolleyes:

A sort of Bollywood Baywatch (well, for those of Pakistani origin).

XTC
1st August 2007, 13:24
I've always gone swimming, and every pool I've ever been into has had 2 women-only nights per week. Some have had 2 men-only nights too, but most have had the rest unisex.
3 women-only nights seem a bit much, but thats obviously your area - obviously more women are swimming than men.

Its got feck all to do with muslims though - most lasses dont like swimming with blokes. Blokes fit into 3 types in swimming pools: -

smelly old blokes.

Ok fine it's nothing to do with Muslim women then. I jumped to a massive conclusion. :ind

Burdock
1st August 2007, 13:28
smelly old blokes.

outrageous SA! I fit into none of those categories. I pootle along doing a very sedate breast stroke, and trying *not* to look at the laydeez. Mind you, this strapping lass came in sauna the other day with her other half...was very very difficult to keep staring at the hot coals. Was grateful for the cold shower after. Hmm, maybe I should stick to mens' night :mad:

sasguru
1st August 2007, 13:40
outrageous SA! I fit into none of those categories. I pootle along doing a very sedate breast stroke, and trying *not* to look at the laydeez. Mind you, this strapping lass came in sauna the other day with her other half...was very very difficult to keep staring at the hot coals. Was grateful for the cold shower after. Hmm, maybe I should stick to mens' night :mad:

I fit into 2 of SA's categories ....but I'm no weirdo.

SallyAnne
1st August 2007, 14:43

Oh Burdock no, no, no!!! As bad as those categories are - you cant "pootle along doing breast stroke"!!!! You're a man ffs!! :D

chicane
1st August 2007, 14:56
smelly old blokes.

I was an agressive front crawler when I used to swim regularly. It's difficult not to ram into a group of five women hogging the entire width of the pool and chatting away with no awareness of what's going on around them. I'm hoping that you don't fit into this category.

Burdock
1st August 2007, 15:01
Oh Burdock no, no, no!!! As bad as those categories are - you cant "pootle along doing breast stroke"!!!! You're a man ffs!! :D

I'm crap at breast stroke too! Two of the chatting women Chicane referred to ovetook me the other day :o

But if you try and front crawl you are ostracised...it is not the 'done thing' in my pool :(

SallyAnne
1st August 2007, 16:25
I was an agressive front crawler when I used to swim regularly. It's difficult not to ram into a group of five women hogging the entire width of the pool and chatting away with no awareness of what's going on around them. I'm hoping that you don't fit into this category.

:rollin: No I dont - I HATE those women! I spend my whole time in the pool nudging past them giving them dirty looks. I refuse to go swimming with mates for that very reason - why go to the baths to chat?!! Freaks.

Mind, I also hate the couples who neck on with each other at the side of the pool (XTC!!)

SallyAnne
1st August 2007, 16:25
I'm crap at breast stroke too! Two of the chatting women Chicane referred to ovetook me the other day :o

But if you try and front crawl you are ostracised...it is not the 'done thing' in my pool :(

Ah bless you :rollin:

You sound dead canny mate :hug: