PDA

View Full Version : When CUK descends into pack mentality

Bagpuss
16th August 2007, 14:33
-People get banned in a poll

-New users are roundly bullied (not just mild p1ss taking, I'm talking group bullying)

-The board becomes a PC censorship utopia, say the wrong thing and you're an 'ist

this place is turning into a youth club, innit? or more accurately a school playground.

if you disagree, please don't set up an arguement, just have a poll to ban me or post some childish insults.

thanks
The Cat

daviejones
16th August 2007, 14:34

-New users are roundly bullied (not just mild p1ss taking, I'm talking group bullying)

-The board becomes a PC censorship utopia, say the wrong thing and you're an 'ist

this place is turning into a youth club, innit? or more accurately a school playground.

if you disagree, please don't set up an arguement, just have a poll to ban me or post some childish insults.

thanks
The Cat

The Cat...hahahahahahaha. Next we will have Churchill signing his with "The Dog"...

richard-af
16th August 2007, 14:39

thanks
The Cat

:moon:

sasguru
16th August 2007, 14:45
blah blah

Shut it

fzbucks
16th August 2007, 14:54
even trolls deserve free speach.

the poor chap will be chased off the stormfront forums for being a pinko liberal lefty

Ruprect
16th August 2007, 14:55

thanks
The Cat

My dad is bigger than your dad. So there. Ner.

zamzummim
16th August 2007, 15:00
oh yeh , am soooo genuine, I swear, cross my heart and hope to die, why aint others here just as genuine as me? That's not fair, not fair at all,< stomp stomp> waaaaaaa, waaaaaaaa

moderator please delete anything I don't like cuz am really really genuine and other are not

moderator please band anyone I don't like because am really really genuine and others are not

waaaaaaa
waaaaa

Daddy let me have my way and so should you moderator ..waaaaaaa

fzbucks
16th August 2007, 15:05
Have to say i am a little dissapointed that someone has been banned in the way they were today, not being a fan of CD in particular but I have been in debate with people occaisionally on this site and wouldn't want to feel that I couldn't express myself without the fear of being banned for having a differing opinion to the pack - which by the way does seem to lean to left sometimes which in my opinion is as bad as the right.

SallyAnne
16th August 2007, 15:06
thanks
The Cat

The pussy more like.

:laugh

SandyDown
16th August 2007, 15:08
Have to say i am a little dissapointed that someone has been banned in the way they were today, not being a fan of CD in particular but I have been in debate with people occaisionally on this site and wouldn't want to feel that I couldn't express myself without the fear of being banned for having a differing opinion to the pack - which by the way does seem to lean to left sometimes which in my opinion is as bad as the right.

How did Chico and AtW survive here before ... hmmm let me think, oh I know this BB used to tolerate others' wacky opinions

richard-af
16th August 2007, 15:10
How did Chico and AtW survive here before ... hmmm let me think, oh I know this BB used to tolerate others' wacky opinions

Burn SandyDown! Burn Her!!! She's a heretic witch!

SandyDown
16th August 2007, 15:13
Burn SandyDown! Burn Her!!! She's a heretic witch!

They tried this before, but I was reborn like a phoenix from the fire :smile

Muttley08
16th August 2007, 15:15
They tried this before, but I was reborn like a phoenix from the fire :smile

Drown her then....think she'd look quite hot when wet :)

SandyDown
16th August 2007, 15:22
here we go again with anti Sandy propaganda...hmmm wonder who is behind it

back to main topic:
This thread reminded me of the a programm about Socrates I watched last night, famous for arguing that we must Know Thyself to be wise, that the unexamined life is not worth living.

It is a cruel irony that Socrates was condemned to death for corrupting the youth (for educating them to Philosophy and arguing that people are ignorant of the Truth).

richard-af
16th August 2007, 15:27
It is a cruel irony that Socrates was condemned to death for corrupting the youth (for educating them to Philosophy and arguing that people are ignorant of the Truth).

I thought it was because he insisted on bathing them, personally, in lots of sudsy water.

SandyDown
16th August 2007, 15:29
I thought it was because he insisted on bathing them, personally, in lots of sudsy water.

I think they said Socrates never/hardly ever bathed !!

richard-af
16th August 2007, 15:30
I think they said Socrates never/hardly ever bathed !!

Yes! The old Barrymore "Never went near the pool" excuse.

administrator
16th August 2007, 15:32
AtW - nothing shocking in what he used to post. No-one really found his posts offensive, he is a good chap to be honest and smarter than a lot of you gave him credit for.

Chico - poor deluded soul. We did change his user profile to "Not worth listening to" despite his post count. That made us giggle. Nothing to suggest he was another users' alter ego and we did check as we were as bemused as everyone else.

As for CD, no-one else on this board comes close to having views as slimy as that. All the mods had wondered whether to ban or not and as we could not decide we thought, in light of today's "reality tv" culture we should have a public flogging. It certainly got people talking.

We can all disagree with each other, no big deal there but as I have posted elsewhere, we are not prepared to have thinly veiled racism on the forum as it attracts the wrong crowd and suggests we are OK with that kind of posting on the forum. Yes, we could all have ignored him but that gives out the wrong message.

Maybe a public hanging was not the best way to do it in hindsight but if you had all voted for him to stay instead of a 4 - 1 vote to ban him then maybe the outcome would have been different. His blood is on your hands too.

realityhack
16th August 2007, 15:38
Chico - poor deluded soul. We did change his user profile to "Not worth listening to" despite his post count. That made us giggle. Nothing to suggest he was another users' alter ego and we did check as we were as bemused as everyone else.
LB! You cheeky chap! He had us convinced that Chico was his invention!

As for CD... ...His blood is on your hands too.
I have no problem with this, personally.

sasguru
16th August 2007, 15:40
AtW - nothing shocking in what he used to post. No-one really found his posts offensive, he is a good chap to be honest and smarter than a lot of you gave him credit for.

As for CD, no-one else on this board comes close to having views as slimy as that. All the mods had wondered whether to ban or not and as we could not decide we thought, in light of today's "reality tv" culture we should have a public flogging. It certainly got people talking.

We can all disagree with each other, no big deal there but as I have posted elsewhere, we are not prepared to have thinly veiled racism on the forum as it attracts the wrong crowd and suggests we are OK with that kind of posting on the forum. Yes, we could all have ignored him but that gives out the wrong message.

Maybe a public hanging was not the best way to do it in hindsight but if you had all voted for him to stay instead of a 4 - 1 vote to ban him then maybe the outcome would have been different. His blood is on your hands too.

Usually I'm all for free speech and the poll didn't have the right options. However I think he lost the right to post here when he made the sickening "spade" comment a while ago.
If he had stood up for what he said, however strong, then that at least would have given people a handle to argue with.
But his style was the "CD shuffle": Post something outrageous, defend it for a while, backtrack when expeditious, change your mind, twist your and other peoples comments to suit etc. etc. true Nazi bollocky propaganda.
The slimy creep is well banned.

Xenophon
16th August 2007, 15:41
I have no problem with this, personally.
What he said.

fzbucks
16th August 2007, 15:41
did you screen the votes to make sure that the anti CDs weren't using their multiple personalities to sway the vote:wink

SandyDown
16th August 2007, 15:42
AtW -Maybe a public hanging was not the best way to do it in hindsight but if you had all voted for him to stay instead of a 4 - 1 vote to ban him then maybe the outcome would have been different. His blood is on your hands too.

Oh yeh I didn't vote so just call me Lady Macbeth,

Ok am going to risk getting band again (it happened many time before when we debated how Israeli government tortures Palestinians - see I didn't forget :D )

Anyway while taking that risk, sorry did you think that some of us are away doing some work, or didn't read the post because it sounded ridiculous, therefore some of us didn't vote?

Saying the above I didn't read CD's posts :nerd so not sure what he said.

realityhack
16th August 2007, 15:43
what he said, especially the backtrack when expeditious bit
:yay:

Muttley08
16th August 2007, 15:43
The posts were longer than my attention span by about 10-fold, so never read em

SandyDown
16th August 2007, 15:45
btw: does anyone remember what did Hell. something and Hull say to get banned??

pisces
16th August 2007, 15:47

thanks
The Cat

Iz U a chav? :confused:

administrator
16th August 2007, 15:50
Oh yeh I didn't vote so just call me Lady Macbeth,

Ok am going to risk getting band again (it happened many time before when we debated how Israeli government tortures Palestinians - see I didn't forget :D )

Anyway while taking that risk, sorry did you think that some of us are away doing some work, or didn't read the post because it sounded ridiculous, therefore some of us didn't vote?

Saying the above I didn't read CD's posts :nerd so not sure what he said.

Well if you didn't read his posts then you should not be expected to vote as you would have no opinion. Likewise you would not therefore know if his banning was for the good of the forum or not so a comment like "oh I know this BB used to tolerate others' wacky opinions" is a little unjustified. We are extremely tolerant on this board, just not of racism - even at its lowest level. As Sasguru said he did post some terrible crap here and as far as I am concerned he got what he deserved. In fact he lasted a lot longer than he should done really.

SandyDown
16th August 2007, 15:52
Well if you didn't read his posts then you should not be expected to vote as you would have no opinion. Likewise you would not therefore know if his banning was for the good of the forum or not so a comment like "oh I know this BB used to tolerate others' wacky opinions" is a little unjustified. We are extremely tolerant on this board, just not of racism - even at its lowest level. As Sasguru said he did post some terrible crap here and as far as I am concerned he got what he deserved. In fact he lasted a lot longer than he should done really.

Scotspine, it is you innit?

If he was racist then off with his head I say :D

sasguru
16th August 2007, 15:53

Nah. scotspine doesn'tdogrammaror uppercase:D

scotspine
16th August 2007, 15:54

If he was racist then off with his head I say :D

nope, not me sd. it is someone higher...

Muttley08
16th August 2007, 15:56
higher than scotspine? sounds a bit like Lost - when Ben describes Jacob? Think it's a similar thing?

SandyDown
scotspine, am quite sure it was you who banned me 4 years ago :(

Say sorry !!

:D :D

Diver
Hmm, Backbiting session :ohwell

Muttley08
16th August 2007, 15:57

Say sorry !!

A woman scorned...beware SP

SandyDown
16th August 2007, 15:58
A woman scorned...beware SP

yeh too right

scotspine
16th August 2007, 16:00

Say sorry !!

i honestly don't remember that. and i wouldn't ban anyone for expressing an honestly held pov that didn't advocate violence or was in any other way detrimental to anyone. that being said, i apologise with the assumption that your recall is better than mine.

Diver
16th August 2007, 16:00
Don't know what I would do if I was banned
Talk to females for real I suppose :D

Muttley08
16th August 2007, 16:01
i honestly don't remember that. and i wouldn't ban anyone for expressing an honestly held pov that didn't advocate violence or was in any other way detrimental to anyone. that being said, i apologise with the assumption that your recall is better than mine.

You can't get away with I can't remember you love. Blame the beer etc.. we've all tried that one. She'll be coming with a little sapling SP next...saying Daddy

scotspine
16th August 2007, 16:01
Don't know what I would do if I was banned

quite...

ctdctd
16th August 2007, 16:02

Hm........... How many members have you got, what notice were they given of the vote, and how many voted?
Looks a bit like a local council sort of turnout to me:-(

If a board rule(s) was broken then ban, if not, not. No need to do in public.

SandyDown
16th August 2007, 16:04

AAAAAAhhhhhh thanks, I've been waiting for this apology for the last 4 years.. my eyes swelling with tears..

All forgiven SP, only..

just to clarify is this apology like when Meredith (from Grey's Anatomy) said sorry to George because she cried while he was making love to her ??

Diver
16th August 2007, 16:05
quite...

I take the hint :D

scotspine
16th August 2007, 16:05
You can't get away with I can't remember you love. Blame the beer etc.. we've all tried that one. She'll be coming with a little sapling SP next...saying Daddy

the advantage of inhabiting a virtual world.

SandyDown
16th August 2007, 16:16
AAAAAAhhhhhh thanks, I've been waiting for this apology for the last 4 years.. my eyes swelling with tears..

All forgiven SP, only..

just to clarify is this apology like when Meredith (from Grey's Anatomy) said sorry to George because she cried while he was making love to her ??

Still waiting for an answer !!! you are not working by any chance are you? or just ignoring me?

(ah I remind me of AtW, who kept posting, come on answer my question, are you a man or a mouse etc etc)

Muttley08
16th August 2007, 16:18
Still waiting for an answer !!! you are not working by any chance are you? or just ignoring me?

(ah I remind me of AtW, who kept posting, come on answer my question, are you a man or a mouse etc etc)

I think you scared him away with the deep stuff about making love Meredith / George / crying thing...when chicks start getting like that we have an in-built male instinct for self preservation and run away

scotspine
16th August 2007, 16:21

up to my ears [as usual] but no, think more sunset song and robert's tearful words to chrissie when he realises how much he has let her down.

SandyDown
16th August 2007, 16:29
up to my ears [as usual] but no, think more sunset song and robert's tearful words to chrissie when he realises how much he has let her down.

Huh? what kind of shows to you see?

Let me guess is this from : "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

(only joking of course, seriously which chrissie we are talking about?)

Churchill
16th August 2007, 16:39
The Cat...hahahahahahaha. Next we will have Churchill signing his with "The Dog"...

No you 'kin won't!!!

Troll
16th August 2007, 19:18
I take the hint :DYes old chap... please be carefull:D

Diver
16th August 2007, 19:20
Oh!
Someone Trolling again :D

Troll
16th August 2007, 19:24
Oh!
Someone Trolling again :DJust looking after your interests old friend:D

OwlHoot
16th August 2007, 19:28
btw: does anyone remember what did Hell. something and Hull say to get banned??

Hull Hull & Halifax, and a few other names. More of a bungey (sp?) poster than a regular.

I found him pretty funny - Livened up a few dull days on the board anyway.

Diver
16th August 2007, 19:29
We must be in the hit list top ten by now :D
But only for posting nonsensical cr@p and thread diverts.

Do they ban for that? :confused:

If they ban me I'm coming back as el doodler :laugh

Methuselah
17th August 2007, 08:09
...We are extremely tolerant on this board, just not of racism - even at its lowest level. As Sasguru said he did post some terrible crap here and as far as I am concerned he got what he deserved. In fact he lasted a lot longer than he should done really."free speech includes not only the inoffensive but the irritating, the contentious, the eccentric, the heretical, the unwelcome and the provocative provided it does not tend to provoke violence. Freedom only to speak inoffensively is not worth having." -- Lord Justice Sedley, Redmond-Bate v BPP 1999.

richard-af
17th August 2007, 08:12
"free speech includes not only the inoffensive but the irritating, the contentious, the eccentric, the heretical, the unwelcome and the provocative provided it does not tend to provoke violence. Freedom only to speak inoffensively is not worth having." -- Lord Justice Sedley, Redmond-Bate v BPP 1999.

Then he won't mind me saying "Feck off, your Honour.", will he?

wendigo100
17th August 2007, 08:42
Maybe a public hanging was not the best way to do it in hindsight but if you had all voted for him to stay instead of a 4 - 1 vote to ban him then maybe the outcome would have been different. His blood is on your hands too.The poll option was biased.:(

Troll
17th August 2007, 08:59
The poll option was biased.:(Also the poll duration was very short... I believe the term is "indecent haste"

realityhack
17th August 2007, 10:25
What's done is done - let's move on.

If CD wants to come back it would be fairly easy for him to do - and then we can have this adventure all over again, learning from our previous mistakes. Remember, he asked to be removed from this board.

Pack mentality - the consequences distasteful for some in this case - is a natural human trait and reflects the sentiment towards CD's contributions to the board.

The mods have to keep the reputational risk of unchallenged racism on this board in mind, and acted appropriately in this case IMHO.

Views are merely views, you can't please everyone, and it's not about political correctness. In this case a user was being consistently disruptive, abusive and offensive, others have been banned for less.

Think about the appropriate behaviour for this forum and the margin of tolerance we have to ramble on about anything under the sun - I think this is great if we do it respectfully, with the good attitude most demonstrate - even while insulting each other tongue-in-cheek - even when passionate about issues such as CSA/access or freedom of speech.

Anyone can write about anything they please, but if I came to this board for the first time as a contractor or journo my opinion of CUK would be negatively impacted if I saw unchallenged threads about racism, national socialism, smut, flaming or otherwise - it would give me the impression that we all implicitly endorse such behaviour.

We did challenge CD - and it became tiring after a while because he kept banging away at the same drum and refusing to engage with the counter-arguments - a typical political tactic to batter opposition into submission. Eventually we would have offered only token resistance to his views or ignored him altogether, creating the impression above.

My tuppence.

richard-af
17th August 2007, 10:29
My tuppence.

Cheapskate!

SandyDown
17th August 2007, 10:31
What's done is done - let's move on.

If CD wants to come back it would be fairly easy for him to do - and then we can have this adventure all over again, learning from our previous mistakes. Remember, he asked to be removed from this board.

Pack mentality - the consequences distasteful for some in this case - is a natural human trait and reflects the sentiment towards CD's contributions to the board.

The mods have to keep the reputational risk of unchallenged racism on this board in mind, and acted appropriately in this case IMHO.

Views are merely views, you can't please everyone, and it's not about political correctness. In this case a user was being consistently disruptive, abusive and offensive, others have been banned for less.

Think about the appropriate behaviour for this forum and the margin of tolerance we have to ramble on about anything under the sun - I think this is great if we do it respectfully, with the good attitude most demonstrate - even while insulting each other tongue-in-cheek - even when passionate about issues such as CSA/access or freedom of speech.

Anyone can write about anything they please, but if I came to this board for the first time as a contractor or journo my opinion of CUK would be negatively impacted if I saw unchallenged threads about racism, national socialism, smut, flaming or otherwise - it would give me the impression that we all implicitly endorse such behaviour.

We did challenge CD - and it became tiring after a while because he kept banging away at the same drum and refusing to engage with the counter-arguments - a typical political tactic to batter opposition into submission. Eventually we would have offered only token resistance to his views or ignored him altogether, creating the impression above.

My tuppence.

Oh my - they grow up so fast!

realityhack
17th August 2007, 10:42
Oh my - they grow up so fast!
I can post something silly as an antidote to that if you like. :p

Please see 90% of my previous posts for examples.