• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Savings vs Investment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savings vs Investment

Got some dosh in my bank account and want some advice on what to do with it.

Do I:

1. Put it in high interest account - if so, which one? Can only see Leeds BS doing 4.85% PA on amounts over 25k
    OR
    2. Invest it - stocks, shares, property (Buy to let)

What are your thoughts? what would you do?

Savings vs Investment

Jesus saves.
    Moses invests.
    Wissen ist Macht, aber nichts wissen macht nichts.

Comment

Shares = Make/Lose a fortune depending on many factors
      Bank = Average income(unless the bank goes down the pan)

Last edited by Ardesco; 21 August 2007, 13:37. Reason: oops, must be having a caffine rush.....

Comment

Spend it on fast cars and loose women.

(Word highlighted to help Ardesco with his spelling).
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Depends on things like your appetite for risk, how much you know about investing etc.

If you aren't sure but want to make more than what you would in a high interest account you could put it in a mutual fund or index tracker.

A good place to find out more is the Motley Fool:

http://www.fool.co.uk/school/2006/sch060130.htm

They do a good book on UK investing as well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motley-Fool-...7702610&sr=1-1
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

The only truly safe place for money in the UK is property. Stick it down as a deposit on a BTL and repeat every few years until you have £53M in property.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Thanks for your replies and links, will take a look at all this. But the BTL stuff looks very interesting

Comment

Latin American dot com startups - it's the future.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Suggest you spread it around a bit.
                  1. Keep warchest where you can get at it, enough cash to cover you for a few months (put on deposit, 30-day access maybe)
                  2. IF you can leave some money alone for minimum 5 years, maybe 10 then use up shares ISA annual allowance = 7k (invest in tracker or general managed uk fund, see hargreaveslansdowne for some info + discounts on purchase but not advice, consider 2 seperate funds)DONT use an IFA for this. Following year choose different area, maybe europe fund, USA, global etc. Doesnt need to be declared on tax return = easy admin. DONT try to buy individual shares/guess the market, you haven't got a hope, hence a tracker or something safeish for first choices.
                  3. I think you have missed the BTL boat, relies on capital appreciation, even with gearing (use of borrowed money) to justify all the possible grief (mate got a phonecall saying if you come here I will kill you). Consider heavy investment in own house for property exposure (exempt from capital gain also)
                  4. I have got a SIPP also, just for the hell of it.

Good luck

Comment

Here's a good source for BTL info:

http://www.axispropertyinvestment.com/

I heard the guy who owns it talk and he's the real deal, as soon as I've got enough I'm in with both feet.

I think when it comes to picking your own shares it's really down to how much time and effort you're prepared to invest into learning how, there are plenty of books and courses if you're into it.

Definitely spread it around a bit as per above post - bit of property, some shares, some bonds, some cash and if you're into the more adventurous stuff some of that.

The rule of thumb (according to Benjamin Graham) if you want to play the crazy game is to set aside an amount (5-10% or whatever of your investment capitol) you want for speculative stuff like covered calls, forex, spread betting etc and just use that. Another rule of thumb (according to Warren Buffet) is never lose capitol!

How much you decide to place into property/shares/bonds/cash/crazy stuff is personal preference, there is no 1-size fits all, go with what you know and what is in your personal comfort zone.

Ignore the media, doomsayers and chicken littles as well the worst thing you can do is stay out of the market.
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X