• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you step in a help someone who is getting a beating?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you step in a help someone who is getting a beating?

If you saw some youths beating a person, would you intervene, walk on or simply phone the police?

From the BBC on the subject:

And in a separate incident, Magazine reader John, from London, says he was charged with grievous bodily harm after a teenager who had been abusing a woman in a petrol station then squared up to him and threatened to knock him out. John punched the youth and fractured his jaw.

He was charged with GBH, suspended from work, depicted as a thug by lawyers and faced the prospect of jail, but the charge was dropped when CCTV evidence clearly showed the youth, who was eventually convicted of affray, behaving threateningly.

"Much as I would want to help out another person who was being attacked or abused, these situations can quickly escalate into violence," says John.

"And even if you don't get hurt as a result, the police are going to get involved, as are lawyers who are smart enough to make the whole thing a lottery."

Yes - to clarify: call police, wade in and help. (preferably with an improvised weapon, umbrella, golf club, stick, pipe, anything to hand.)

oh, and etc...
    Last edited by realityhack; 21 August 2007, 15:34.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      If you saw some youths beating a person, would you intervene, walk on or simply phone the police?
      Is there an option to join in?

Comment

The guiding rule is "Don't hit, Restrain"

As soon as you strike a blow it is an assault.
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

If I saw a person beating some youths, I'd stand there and provide copious amounts of verbal encouragement.

Comment

You are legally entitled to strike someone if they a) blatantly are about to do you an injury or b) in defence of others.

The weapon thing may land me in court though.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
              The guiding rule is "Don't hit, Restrain"

As soon as you strike a blow it is an assault.
              The above quoted news atricle seems to contradict that. It clearly states that the defendant threw the first punch but was aquitted as the 'yoof' was acting threateningly....

Comment

Put it this way, if someone approaches me in a threatening way, i.e. squaring up to me or anyone I was with.

I want weigh in and deal with the consequences after, better to be up on a GBH charge than have a knife in your side or worse your missus or family member.

And how could any decent human being stand by and watch it happen to someone else?

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
                  The above quoted news atricle seems to contradict that. It clearly states that the defendant threw the first punch but was aquitted as the 'yoof' was acting threateningly....
                  It makes me laugh, are people really supposed to wait until someone hits them before reacting? I mean if the other bloke is a little bit handy then it could be game over for you.

Comment

I live in Sarf London, so I'd pull out my AK47 and kill 'em all.

Comment

Working...
                    X