• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dealing with Agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with Agents

Hi,

I am considering leaving the "permee" world to give contracting a go. I have looked through this forum and picked up some good advice.

I put my CV on the net and have had a lot of calls from agents. A lot of them had no opportunities for me and were blatantly looking for leads. Also I get the following common questions:
    (i) "We need a reference?" - Agent looking for leads?
    (ii) "We need your CV in MS-Word format for our system." - Agent too lazy to download it off the web? But where did they get my mobile number from?
    (iii) "For our system I require, NI number, DOB and confirmation of entitlement to work in the UK." - Hmmm?

Are there any hidden meanings here or are these genuine agent requirements?

Has anyone else got advice/warnings regarding dealing with agencies? Dealing with Agencies DOs and DONTs?

Your help is much appreciated,
    JN

(i) Asking for references without offering a genuine role is quite clearly fishing. Just say you will provide references having been offered a contract.

(ii) Kinda seems lazy but if that's the way their clients prefer to receive CVs then that's how you should provide them. It's pretty standard... if they were asking for it in XML or something then you might have a case... just send it.

(iii) Never heard of an agent asking for NI number. Unless you are going to be an employee of the agency they shouldn't need it. It is now ILLEGAL for agents to ask for DOB due to recent age discrimination laws. As for confirmation of entitlement to work in UK, surely a simple 'Yes' is sufficient??

HTH
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Are you opted in to the employment regs or opted out?

Comment

Thank you for the feedback so far.

Regarding the question about "Are you opted in to the employment regs or opted out?".... I never thought about this question before... I am now learning about it

-JN

Comment

Bloody hell, a newbie doing his own research ... what is this place coming to?

Comment

Originally posted by JNinja View Post
            Has anyone else got advice/warnings regarding dealing with agencies? Dealing with Agencies DOs and DONTs?
            JN
            My advise is DONT deal with agencies in the UK if you can go direct. I got my current contract direct with the client through jobserve. That said, I had no problems dealing with agent in Dublin. Took me out for a couple of lunches too.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by JNinja View Post
              Hi,

I am considering leaving the "permee" world to give contracting a go. I have looked through this forum and picked up some good advice.

I put my CV on the net and have had a lot of calls from agents. A lot of them had no opportunities for me and were blatantly looking for leads. Also I get the following common questions:
              (i) "We need a reference?" - Agent looking for leads?
              (ii) "We need your CV in MS-Word format for our system." - Agent too lazy to download it off the web? But where did they get my mobile number from?
              (iii) "For our system I require, NI number, DOB and confirmation of entitlement to work in the UK." - Hmmm?

Are there any hidden meanings here or are these genuine agent requirements?

Your help is much appreciated,
              JN
              Many of your questions will be answer by The PCG Guide to Freelancing

Comment

Thanks again for your help.

I am reading the PCG guide now.

-NJ

Comment

Working...
                X