• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good place to live for contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good place to live for contracting

Moving house - but can't decide where exactly...

Currently contracting in Birmingham, but want to move further down 'Sarf to move within commuting range of Oxford / Reading etc.
    Any ideas of good places, poss with good rail links to London?

It's only when you really look, you realise how crap rail links are in this country....
    Last edited by Muttley08; 21 September 2007, 14:57.

Leamington Spa

Excellent train links to Brum, Oxford and Reading. OK trains to London (direct but slow to Marylebone). Nice place, good bars, restaurants, not much going on culturally, but Stratford and Warwick Arts Centre are not far away. Bit small if you're used to the big city.

Comment

Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
      Moving house - but can't decide where exactly...

Currently contracting in Birmingham, but want to move further down 'Sarf to move within commuting range of Oxford / Reading etc. - but still be within reach of Brum as Mrs Muttley works there. Been looking at villages round Warwick etc...but can't find anything nice at moment.

Any ideas of good places, poss with good rail links to London?

It's only when you really look, you realise how crap rail links are in this country....
      Is Warwick considered 'Sarf' ? I always thought it had a whiff of the midlands about it
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

FFS why does anyone want to live anywhere but Leeds
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
          FFS why does anyone want to live anywhere but Leeds
          I did a quick gig in Leeds recently...it's grim ooop North
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Is Warwick considered 'Sarf' ? I always thought it had a whiff of the midlands about it
            Warwick is technically Midlands but real Midlanders reckon the South starts South of Coventry and North of Kenilworth.

Warwick is 3 miles from Leamington Spa so the same holds true about rail links. It is smaller, though, and feels considerably smaller but is a nice enough place.

Comment

I'm working for a bank in Bournemouth and London. I took a look at Winchester Hampshire at the weekend. It is only an hour away from London and the same to Bournemouth Dorset. Also it is also on a major freeway intersection for the North, West and East. The Airport is 15 minutes away.
              Never swap horses crossing a stream

Comment

Outside the UK. Preferably outside the EU.

NotAllThere
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  I did a quick gig in Leeds recently...it's grim ooop North
                  I'm darn sarf at the mo and it's awful, can't wait to get home.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Bristol, Bath, Chippenham, Swindon, Reading - all on the M4
                    For Oxford, turn off at Swindon and get on the A420.

Pick where you want to live and drive/ get the train to your gig

Personally I live in Chippenham

Comment

Working...
                    X