• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm Contract - Start date

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perm Contract - Start date

Hi all

Just quick question, Singed a contact for a perm job stating my start date as 20th August, but the company delayed my start date by 1 week to 27th August. The contract has not been changed to reflect 27th as the start date.

Am I entitled to be paid from the 20th August?

Appreciate any advise !

Probably not Gurj but why quibble over a couple of hundred quid?

Not exactly getting off on the right note with your new employer is it?

Comment

Originally posted by gurj01 View Post
      Hi all

Just quick question, Singed a contact for a perm job stating my start date as 20th August, but the company delayed my start date by 1 week to 27th August. The contract has not been changed to reflect 27th as the start date.

Am I entitled to be paid from the 20th August?

Appreciate any advise !
      Did you do the work? You'd be entitled to be paid if you'd done the work...I would have thought. I guess I'm missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post
        Did you do the work? You'd be entitled to be paid if you'd done the work...I would have thought. I guess I'm missing something?
        It's a permie job. Doesn't matter if you do the work or not. I think they should be paying you from the date it says in the contract.

But I wouldn't argue.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I agree that it may not be a good idea to raise this issue with my employer as this would certainly create a bad impression, it was just that the HR people near think the sun shines out of there a**es and the way they go on at some of my colleges in emails like " it was clearly stated in your contract blah blah.... WHAT CAN HR DO TO MAKE THIS CLEARER". They just have a off way of dealing with people, and they seem to think they can never make a mistake, even though it was proved to HRs problem in my colleges case.

Though it would be nice to get one up on them but i think I'll save this until it comes to the time I'm leave this company to raise this one.

But on a legal note, where do i stand, am i owed this money?

Officially I'm employed by the company for that week, but they told me not to come into work because it would be easier for them to have me start on the same day as the other new starter

Comment

Originally posted by gurj01 View Post

But on a legal note, where do i stand, am i owed this money?
            Slavery was outlawed a few years back!

Have you asked your employer?

Have you asked your agent?

Comment

Is there a clause in the contract forbidding you to work for anyone else? If that is the case, they probably owe you the money.

Colleague

NotAllThere
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Have you asked them they intend to pay you for that week? You could always point out that you left a contract a week early to take the job (if it's true - they might ask for evidence).
                If they are going to pay you, fine. If not, sue them if that's how you want to deal with your new employer, otherwise, take a nice week off somewhere. You could always ask to be paid for that week but to take it out of your Annual Leave allowance.

Comment

No no no. He should sue and go back contracting.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

This might be something i take up with my employer before i leave when ever that is...but may not really be worth the hassle...

Thanks all for your comments,

Comment

Working...
                    X