• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worth starting a ltd company inside IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth starting a ltd company inside IR35?

Im currently under an umbrella company and they do my head in. I want to get out of them. They charge £120 a momth as well.

Im thinking of starting a limited company for my IT contract work, but im not sure if I will fall insdie IR35 or not. Probably shuld really fall inside when I think about my role.. Is it still worth going ltd for this? (inside IR35)

thanks

You'd probably be better off with a Ltd., but to be honest if it was me I might feel that it wasn't worth the extra hassle. That's if you can find an umbrella you trust of course.

Don't assume you're inside IR35 though.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Yep - I assumed my contract would be within IR35, but I had it reviewed and it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by westredd View Post
        Im currently under an umbrella company and they do my head in. I want to get out of them. They charge £120 a momth as well.

Im thinking of starting a limited company for my IT contract work, but im not sure if I will fall insdie IR35 or not. Probably shuld really fall inside when I think about my role.. Is it still worth going ltd for this? (inside IR35)

thanks
        Yes- 5 reasons

VAT flat rate profit
        5% allowance – you may make a small profit!
        The bank interest belongs to your company – Not the umbrella company.
        Accountancy fees will be cheaper than the £120 you are paying now.
        You should be able to reclaim travel and subsistence.

In addition, you will have access to the company funds; you do not have to pay anyone for a same day payment (well other than the normal bank charge)

Comment

thanks guys, very helpful

Comment

financial breakdown aside, a Ltd has got to be better on principle. With an umbrella you're relying on a company controlled by other people in order to pay you your own money - probably your entire income. Who'd take on that kind of risk voluntarily if they had a choice in the matter?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              financial breakdown aside, a Ltd has got to be better on principle. With an umbrella you're relying on a company controlled by other people in order to pay you your own money - probably your entire income. Who'd take on that kind of risk voluntarily if they had a choice in the matter?
              Every single permie takes that risk. And even for contractors, you can say exactly the same thing for the agent and the client. When I was with Parasol a couple of years ago, they'd pay me the day they received the money from the agent. I'd be far more worried about the agent not paying than the umbrella.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Every single permie takes that risk. And even for contractors, you can say exactly the same thing for the agent and the client. When I was with Parasol a couple of years ago, they'd pay me the day they received the money from the agent. I'd be far more worried about the agent not paying than the umbrella.
                Tell that to the P4 contractors; why involve an intermediary if you don't have to?

Comment

Originally posted by kirk View Post
                  Tell that to the P4 contractors; why involve an intermediary if you don't have to?
                  Exactly my opinion. Keep the chain as short as possible to minimise the risks.

Comment

Very informative replies on the post! Cheers guys!
                    dr_beat (dumb support monkey)

Comment

Working...
                    X