• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick Umbrella decision needed.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Umbrella decision needed.

Hi Guys, My first post, please go easy with the flames!

I need to make a very quick decision about an umbrella.

I've read the posts and have a breakdown from a company but it seems a bit of a low take home figure (I know LTD is the way to go but I am unable to at the moment for various reasons). I'd appreciate it if anyone could suggest a company that could probably be do better than this (and are obviously reliable):

Monthly (£)
    Revenue Contract revenue: 6,933

Tax Free Income
    Mileage claimed: 0
    Subsistence claimed: 325
    Schedule E expenses claimed: 247
    Pension: 0
    Total: 572

Our Fees Admin costs: 79.95

Tax deductions
    Employers NI: 663
    Employees NI: 298
    PAYE: 1,531
    Total: 2,493

Net Income
    Net income per month: 4,359

any ideas/comments etc. appreciated.

anyone care to advise?? i'd appreciate it.

Comment

try these

http://www.contractorumbrella.com/
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

With Umbrellas the main area to look at is their fees and maximise your expenses.

What are the reasons you can't go Ltd ?
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

If you read through some of the other threads on umbrellas you'll see that it's much of a muchness when you're comparing them. They all have to abide by the same rules, after all. You may find one umbrella offering a particular set of expense claims you'd be allowed, which looks good, but then another has a different set-up that results in roughly the same figures coming back to you.

Having been caught up in the P4 debacle, I'd say that if you really can't go Ltd. for now, then use the brolly but only in the short term and keep on top of the figures.

I appreciate that doesn't really answer your query specifically but other than going to every umbrella you can find and plugging the same figures into each of them, you're not going to get a detailed response as it'll depend on your circumstances (rate, expenses, etc.).

Comment

I am not that familiar with umbrella companies since my opinion of them involves a certain boating implement, but the £325 a month for subsistence looks a bit low at only £15 a day.

What you want is an Umbrella that gives you more per day for subsistence because that is more tax free money in your pocket.

Oh, hang on a minute, that would be fraud.

You can only claim expenses that you actually spend so AFAIK the only difference when comparing umbrellas are going to be their fees.

Comment

try these

www.tanite.co.im or www.astonml.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                Oh, hang on a minute, that would be fraud.

We need to be careful - without an explicit <sarcasm> tag around some comments, people will think that you are serious about claiming as much as you can with no receipts.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It seems someone is trying parasol. Who in fairness have a decent rep. Try No Longer Limited or contractor Umbrella as well. They tend not to get much bad rep

HTH

Comment

Working...
                  X