• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Signed but no Job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Signed but no Job

What is my legal position?

I work as a contract via my own limited company and got a contract via an agency.

I accepted the contract for a company.

I signed the contract but now the job has been postponed indefinably.
    (I even got a email directly from the company informing me of this; first for a few days and then indefinably)

Can I sue the company or agency?

Rgds

You can always sue if you want to. Whether you've got any chance depends on what your contract says (& how good your lawyers are).

The contracts I tend to work on usually say I can charge based on work done, and when no work's required by the customer I can work for other customers, so I'd find it hard to sue for loss of revenue.

Comment

You could sue either, but you won't win.

Chalk it up to experience, and look for more work.

I've often wondered about putting something in the contract that says something like "In the event of the contractor not starting the contract, through action by the client or agency, a fee of £XXX shall be payable from the agency to the contractor". Can't see any agency signing up to that, though.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Indefinably?

If the contract says there's a notice period, then you ought to be entitled to that. Otherwise forget it, move on.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Indefinably?

If the contract says there's a notice period, then you ought to be entitled to that. Otherwise forget it, move on.
          There's probably a clause that says "no work, no pay".
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Why would a company be entitled to payment for services that haven't been delivered?

Comment

Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
              Why would a company be entitled to payment for services that haven't been delivered?
              Because the contract says there's a notice period, which means you should be compensated the amount you would have expected to have made through that period even if they don't want you to work. Otherwise what does a notice period mean?

I agree it's a grey area at best. And IANAL.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

IIRC, PCG Plus members might have some kind of insurance, if you can prove that you missed out on other work to take a non-existent role.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

There is probably a clause that states that the contract can be terminated without notice if the client (the agency) loses the work or the project is cancelled... The exact same thing happened to me in my first deal and there was nothing I could do...

Notice periods mean nothing if the project hasn't started and the work is cancelled... bunch of !

Comment

simple - move on and focus on getting another contract. Tell them you will look for another contract but would like to know when they need you again and you can have first acceptance of contract.

Who knows in a few months time they might come back to you when your next contract expires.

Comment

Working...
                    X