• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone on here worked at Orange In Bristol

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone on here worked at Orange In Bristol

Whats it like?

mate of mine is a PM there - very good conditions and they tend to keep people - what skills are you ?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Two things to remember - it is a youth-centric organisation that has grown incredibly quickly, so there are a lot of faults in their admin and some comparatively inexpereinced people in key roles. Also, while there is an organisation chart, some of the people who developed the original concept stayed as techies and not managers, but still wield a huge amount of influence. Lines of command are not always as clear as they might seem.

That said, there is a good atmosphere there, the facilities are excellent (apart from parking at the Aztec West sites - get in early!) and it all works rather well.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yes - I worked there a few years ago. One of the best projects I've ever worked on - managed to work 5 days in 4, even though I was with Oracle at the time.

As Mal says, if you're driving to Aztec West, you'll need to get in very early since there is so little parking there.

A friend of mind has just got involved with something there, not sure what, but he seems happy.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Orange

I know someone there. Her in doors - or out of doors at the moment.
          Teams and areas are different though within orgainisations. Now a bit of a slow giant. Lots and lots of procedures - way too many forms. Laid back people. Canteen is worse than at school but very cheap. Best meal is breakfast. Coffee machines are not very good. A bit too cheap. Different offices on Aztec West so use of coat and brolly very useful in the winter/rain.
          Huge housing estate very close - Bradley stoke so rental of flat would be very easy. Close to both M4 & M5 & M32.
          7.5 hours per day. Aim to start at 7:30 / 8am and leave before 4:45

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            As Mal says, if you're driving to Aztec West, you'll need to get in very early since there is so little parking there.
            IIRC that whole bit of the A38/M5 junction is one big car park.

I used to drive to Bristol Parkway every day.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I did a stint there yonks ago that was one of the best contracts I've ever had, a bit like a holiday camp at the time but it has changed a lot since then. As mentioned by Mal there were lots of inexperienced and some very poor managers who had got in there in the early growth days. I know the area I worked in has been reorganised, outsourced, insourced, reorganised again etc etc Just after I left the managers were put on an incentive scheme to get rid of contractors which they did in response to the incentives and ended up with consultancy staff costing twice as much !

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
                mate of mine is a PM there - very good conditions and they tend to keep people - what skills are you ?
                Citrix/Windows/IBM Blades, Director

Comment

Originally posted by roadster198 View Post
                  Citrix/Windows/IBM Blades, Director
                  That'll keep you busy then!

My job there was to build an initial Config Management system for the infrastrcuture. That started with tracking down, labelling and counting their 400-odd servers. We actually found 645, including two Sun F10K blade servers they didn't know they had

Incidentally, server names were usually allocated by the guys in goods received... I hope they are a bit more rational now!
                  Last edited by malvolio; 26 September 2007, 10:01.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                  X