• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company donations to charity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company donations to charity

I intend to donate to http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Does anyone know what is the most tax efficient methos of doing this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...2/niraq102.xml
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

I do.

Comment

Either gift aid it, so pay yourself out of post-tax income and they claim back 28p in the £1 (so you can give less / they can make more).

Or donate from your company and it comes out as an expense, so you don't pay CT on it.

Can't be bothered to work out the sums - I asked my accountant once and he didn't give me a straight answer.

It depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you want to donate £100 and have the charity get the most out of it, then pay yourself and gift aid it (so they get £128). If you want to donate £100 and pay the minimum amount of tax on it yourself, then through the company is probably the best way to do it, and the charity gets £100.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
        I do.
        Friendly and helpful not

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless View Post
          Friendly and helpful not
          Well it's helpful to the innocents slaughtered by these people if you don't find the correct information...

Comment

I would pay it personally, then the charity gets gift aid and thus more dosh.

Thats what a donation is all about surely.

Comment

I don't think there's much in it but it perhaps depends on the charity. I decided to sponsor a charitable musical event last year so I did it through my company as it got the company name in the programme as principal sponsor. Thought this had to be useful for IR35 and did for my advertising budget last year!

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
                I don't think there's much in it but it perhaps depends on the charity. I decided to sponsor a charitable musical event last year so I did it through my company as it got the company name in the programme as principal sponsor. Thought this had to be useful for IR35 and did for my advertising budget last year!
                Won't make a difference, since IR35 is assessed on a contract by contract basis.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Won't make a difference, since IR35 is assessed on a contract by contract basis.
                  But it couldn't hurt. Also helps to prove what extra you do that employees do e.g. advertise, insurances etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X