• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Code

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Code

Hi All

I recently got married....should my tax code change and if so does it do it automatically ?? or do i need to infrom the revenue e.t.c.....

Big Thanks in Advance
    Thats the way the cookie crumbles

There is no married persons allowance anymore so no change in your tax code. If your Mrs is going to be off baby minding then it may be worth putting assets in her name to use her tax free allowance and lower rate band. Is your Mrs a shareholder in your Ltd ?

Comment

Married Couples Allowance

Afraid not, the married couples allowance was abolished many years ago, no tax benefit at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
        There is no married persons allowance anymore so no change in your tax code. If your Mrs is going to be off baby minding then it may be worth putting assets in her name to use her tax free allowance and lower rate band. Is your Mrs a shareholder in your Ltd ?
        She is not a share holder but is the company secretary.....funny you mention it as well she is a Child Minder / Nanny.....do you know her ?
        Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

No, but think of the working family tax credit when the new sprog arrives.

If your missus isn't working, then it might be worth employing her and claiming SMP while she's off work.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            No, but think of the working family tax credit when the new sprog arrives.

If your missus isn't working, then it might be worth employing her and claiming SMP while she's off work.
            Pretty peed off I didn't think of that one in time. My Mrs didn't go back to work between kids so no SMP this time, we could of got 100+ quid a week for a year, getting nowt as it stands !

Tax credits are no good unless you aren't earning much, I decided I wasn't worth filling in the forms but ?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              Pretty peed off I didn't think of that one in time. My Mrs didn't go back to work between kids so no SMP this time, we could of got 100+ quid a week for a year, getting nowt as it stands !

Tax credits are no good unless you aren't earning much, I decided I wasn't worth filling in the forms but ?
              If the combined family income is over £58000 then it's not worth it. If it isn't, then you will get something.

And seeing as the system is so bad, and has a tendency to overpay occasionally, you might hit the jackpot! I stand a better chance of getting paid £1 million out of there than from the lottery.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                If the combined family income is over £58000 then it's not worth it. If it isn't, then you will get something.
                There is a 25k disregard for a year. A creative way to do it: Year 1 arrange income of, say 60k. Year 2 35k. Year 3 60k etc. This way the family credit is permanently bases on an income of 35k. I discovered this purely by mistake - honest - but it meant that I got about 2k of free money rather than none.

Comment

Working...
                X