• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

shifting income to captial gain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shifting income to captial gain

Just a thought.

This new 18% flat rate will encourage people to shift cashflow defined as "income" into cashflow defined as "capital gain" as the tax rates are now wildy different , 40% compared to 18%. Apparently this soft of accounting "magic" was all the rage before the two tax rates were previously aligned at 40%.

Rather than issue dividends above the 40% income tax threshold, could my company now choose to regularly buy back some of its shares, thus shifting that >40% bracket dividend income (taxed at an extra 25% post CT) into the
    18% post CT Capital gains bracket?

Either way, im sure the accountants will make a few quid from the rule changes!
    The Mods stole my post count!

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
    Just a thought.

This new 18% flat rate will encourage people to shift cashflow defined as "income" into cashflow defined as "capital gain" as the tax rates are now wildy different , 40% compared to 18%. Apparently this soft of accounting "magic" was all the rage before the two tax rates were previously aligned at 40%.

Rather than issue dividends above the 40% income tax threshold, could my company now choose to regularly buy back some of its shares, thus shifting that >40% bracket dividend income (taxed at an extra 25% post CT) into the
    18% post CT Capital gains bracket?

Either way, im sure the accountants will make a few quid from the rule changes!

Remember though, it's not really 18%, it's 18% on top of CT.

So for £1 of pre-tax profit, you have 80p post tax profit.

If paid out as a dividend, you get 60p. If paid out as a capital gain, you get 65.6p. So it isn't as good as you imply because of income tax imputation on dividends, which you don't get with capital gains

Of course if you aren't using your £9,200/year, then that will considerably reduce marginal rates of taxation: £9,200/year would not attract any CGT at all.

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
      So it isn't as good as you imply because of income tax imputation on dividends, which you don't get with capital gains
      I'll have your 6p in the pound then if you dont want it.
      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
        Remember though, it's not really 18%, it's 18% on top of CT.

So for £1 of pre-tax profit, you have 80p post tax profit.

If paid out as a dividend, you get 60p. If paid out as a capital gain, you get 65.6p. So it isn't as good as you imply because of income tax imputation on dividends, which you don't get with capital gains

Of course if you aren't using your £9,200/year, then that will considerably reduce marginal rates of taxation: £9,200/year would not attract any CGT at all.
        I thought the high rate of divi tax was 22.5%, so it would 62.2 vs 65.6.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
          My sums are correct, you get 60p in the pound of pre-tax profit

Comment

But if the company buys back shares can't it set the cost of doing so against the profits of the company thus reducing the CT part - or is that not allowable

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post
              No - the higher rate divi tax is 32.5% but you get a 10% credit for dividends received.

So 80p received dividends is 88.89p including 10% tax credit. Take your 32.5% off 88.89p and you get 60p.

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
                No - the higher rate divi tax is 32.5% but you get a 10% credit for dividends received.

So 80p received dividends is 88.89p including 10% tax credit. Take your 32.5% off 88.89p and you get 60p.
                Thanks, its obvious ive never paid myself higher rate divis and now i know its 25% i hope i never have too.

Comment

So pickle's idea is a good one non?
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Also - this has got to be worth it on a yearly basis for the 9200 CT allowance at least hasn't it?
                    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                    X