• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client pays for VPN client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client pays for VPN client

I'm changing my contract here in the new year. I'll be working remotely. I'll probably need to get some software for this. Was wondering about either:
    - expensing the client for it on the invoice
    - just getting the client to buy it and send me the CD
    Naturally I'd send them the CD when the contract ends.

Are both of these options above board?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

I find most clients already have a 'standard' remote VPN client install (Cisco usually) if one is needed.

Ask them first and they may just be able to email it to you

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
      I find most clients already have a 'standard' remote VPN client install (Cisco usually) if one is needed.

Ask them first and they may just be able to email it to you
      Or Checkpoint.

Comment

My client is (supposedly) lending me a laptop so I can VPN. They won't let me connect my own equipment to their network, which I guess is a fairly common policy.
        Last edited by VectraMan; 12 October 2007, 09:30. Reason: sense.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If it is a requirement of the client that you only connect via their VPN then it is perfectly reasonable for them to pay for it and provide it. Fall's into the same category as not allowing 3rd party haredware to be connected to the network and providing a pc or laptop for you to use on the site. Won't affect IR35 etc one way or the other.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I like to use parallels (VMware type thing) in these situations. Just get them to put a standard build of their hardware into a Virtual machine and run it on your hardware at home.

You get to use your hardware (handy for "using own materials/equipment" tax type thing) and they get to not worry about hardware.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I've also propsed that they think about a virtual desktop type thingi (kinda like VNC) so I'm not shuffling files back and forth over and incredibly slow ADSL link. Would also solve the hardware issue, as I'm using their hardware.

Given the twits who run this place, I imagine it will take them six months to sort this out. I mean it takes weeks for a database server to be patched and even for one to be created.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

For one of our clients we use windows RDC over Cisco VPN.

Much like VNC, but it's built into windows server and all versions of XP come with a client.

It's easier to set up than VNC so may be worth mentioning it to them if it's a windows server you need access to.

Comment

Lot's of good solutions mentioned here, it's just so difficult getting companies to try them out! I think they'd much rather keep a large stock of crappy old circa 1998 laptops just for contractors.

After all a new laptop is a permie perk!

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
                    Lot's of good solutions mentioned here, it's just so difficult getting companies to try them out! I think they'd much rather keep a large stock of crappy old circa 1998 laptops just for contractors.

After all a new laptop is a permie perk!
                    Case of choosing your clients wisely.

Currently using a new as in out of the box thinkpad (not to post on here mind using own equipment for that) and previously been given a new Dell laptop to use by different client.

The only thing is they put stupid f£$k%*^ virus scanners on them that freeze everything up so you can't do any work and then are a!!!! about giving you the password to "alter" how it works.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X