• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT FRS implications of using a substitute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT FRS implications of using a substitute

All,

I've been wondering about this for a while.

Lets say that you want to use a substitute on your gig. Your substitute invoices you for, say, £1000 + vat.

You then bill the client/agency for the £1175.

You're FRS obligation is applied to your gross invoices so you'll have a VAT liability of £152.75 (@13%).

You've now had to pay out £175 worth of VAT to your substitute, yet you received £175 from the client but you still have a liability of £152.75..

Am I talking bollox or is this genuinely a problem if you intend to use a sub.

Yes this is a genuine problem if you are on the flat rate.
    You should switch to another VAT scheme and offset the input VAT against the output VAT.
    E.g. received invoice from substitute £1.000 + VAT, invoice to agency 1.000 +VAT, Input VAT = £175, Output VAT = £175, 0£ to pay...

Viktor
    The rest is silence...

Comment

I seem to remember that on the FRS, you can still claim on invoices over a certain amount (2k?). Is this right? If so, get them to invoice you at that threshold.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        I seem to remember that on the FRS, you can still claim on invoices over a certain amount (2k?). Is this right? If so, get them to invoice you at that threshold.
        isn't the 2k only for capital purchases rather than services ?
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
          isn't the 2k only for capital purchases rather than services ?
          Fair enough. But when I worked in the NHS anything could be 'capitalised', but then HMRC wasn't breathing down your neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor View Post
            Yes this is a genuine problem if you are on the flat rate.
            You should switch to another VAT scheme and offset the input VAT against the output VAT.
            E.g. received invoice from substitute £1.000 + VAT, invoice to agency 1.000 +VAT, Input VAT = £175, Output VAT = £175, 0£ to pay...

Viktor
            Can you switch to one vat scheme for, say, a couple of weeks. then switch back to FRS ?

I'd have thought this wouldn't be allowed..

Comment

Originally posted by Flat Eric View Post
              Can you switch to one vat scheme for, say, a couple of weeks. then switch back to FRS ?

I'd have thought this wouldn't be allowed..
              It's just taken me 3 1/2 months to get onto the FRS...
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

changing vat scheme

You can change VAT scheme on commencement of a vat quarter. Once you have changed, you cannot change again until a 12 month period has lapsed.

Comment

Originally posted by Flat Eric View Post
                  Am I talking bollox or is this genuinely a problem if you intend to use a sub.
                  Yes - its a problem.

If you are on the 13% FRS percentage you need to make sure you VAT inclusive income is more than about 8 times your VAT inclusive expenditure.

If you are subbing a lot of stuff out its highly likely your income is going to be less than 8 times your outgoings, so I'd go back to normal VAT asap.

Comment

Working...
                  X