• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contract terminated, dealing with reference?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contract terminated, dealing with reference?

I reported about a bullying situation at the work place, within few days my contract has been terminated by the client for no valid reason.

I want to move on, and try for other contracts. Questions:

(1) I have not got any written communication about the termination. It was all verbal. What documentation I should have to formally close the contract?

(2) Would this (contract termination) affect my future contract prospects?

(3) How can I deal with the reference? This was fairly a long contract (12 months period), so I cannot skip this in my resume.

Originally posted by affected View Post
    I reported about a bullying situation at the work place, within few days my contract has been terminated by the client for no valid reason.

I want to move on, and try for other contracts. Questions:

(1) I have not got any written communication about the termination. It was all verbal. What documentation I should have to formally close the contract?

(2) Would this (contract termination) affect my future contract prospects?

(3) How can I deal with the reference? This was fairly a long contract (12 months period), so I cannot skip this in my resume.
    1 - None. But written notice of termination should be given anyway.

2 - No.

3 - Don't give a reference. Describe the client in vague terms rather than by name, and tell anyone that asks that the client does not give references, and you signed a non disclosure agreement so can't tell the agency who they were.

It's a pain, but that's business - get on with finding a new contract and don't worry about this one.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

And treat it as a lesson learned:

1) what companies say and what they do are 2 completely different things ("we are a fair employer and care about our people").
      2) what applies to permies doesn't appy to contractors, even if you're in the right.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        And treat it as a lesson learned:

1) what companies say and what they do are 2 completely different things ("we are a fair employer and care about our people").
        2) what applies to permies doesn't appy to contractors, even if you're in the right.
        Lesson 3 - don't pick a fight with a permie. You will lose.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

IMHO, this approach lead to unnecessary confusions ...

Give an excuse (like, the manager is on holiday now) for not giving reference from this company ... If you have no option, then you can give a permie as a reference (of course, with their consent) ..

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          3 - Don't give a reference. Describe the client in vague terms rather than by name, and tell anyone that asks that the client does not give references, and you signed a non disclosure agreement so can't tell the agency who they were.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Lesson 3 - don't pick a fight with a permie. You will lose.
            In fact the bully manager in the present case was a long-term contractor who had network with permies. This contractor was like a semi-permanent kind.. I found that the politics in the client organisation was so intense that the bully and the gang was never allowing the project to succeed. It appears that the project was attempted two times but failed, each time key developer removed just before the core modules were completed.

I sensed the trouble, but could not leave, as my contract does not give me right to give any notice of termination. I had no other option to wait. As expected, they terminated the contract just before core development was completed.

Comment

If you are a business why arent you sueing them for breach of contract??

Wont your shareholders be up in arms over this?

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
                If you are a business why arent you sueing them for breach of contract??

Wont your shareholders be up in arms over this?

Mailman
                I would imagine that the contract has something like "we can terminate if we aren't happy with your work" or similar.

You only get paid for what you work anyway, so they could just tell you not to come in rather than terminating the contract, which makes it harder to move on and get a new role since you are under contract there...
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

In fact the bully manager in the present case was a long-term contractor who had network with permies. This contractor was like a semi-permanent kind.....
                  Go on. Shop him to the tax man.

I sensed the trouble, but could not leave, as my contract does not give me right to give any notice of termination. I had no other option to wait. As expected, they terminated the contract just before core development was completed.
                  Sounds like excellent handling by you.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Go on. Shop him to the tax man.
                    Good idea - given the conditions he is "employed" under and the working relationship he appears to have, this will be an easy target for HMRC...

Comment

Working...
                    X