• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile Phone through business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Phone through business

I have been looking at whether it is worthwhile to switch mobiles to a business tariff through my company (+ one for my wife). However, doesn't seem to be a great idea as the deals for businesses are more expense that personal ones (certainly wiping out any corp tax gain). Anyone got any advice whether it is a good idea or not? Do they only really work well if you have a number of phones or make lots of calls?

Originally posted by slackbloke View Post
    I have been looking at whether it is worthwhile to switch mobiles to a business tariff through my company (+ one for my wife). However, doesn't seem to be a great idea as the deals for businesses are more expense that personal ones (certainly wiping out any corp tax gain). Anyone got any advice whether it is a good idea or not? Do they only really work well if you have a number of phones or make lots of calls?
    The company can pay for all line rental and all calls, as a pre-tax expense. I'm surprised that you are finding more expensive than paying for it out of income that you have taken out of the business and paid tax on.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

We've been through this lots of times.

Yes it is almost definitely worth doing despite the higher tariffs. You also get better support.

Your wife however can't have a phone unless she's an employee or director of YourCo Ltd.

And don't ask whether you can put a personal tariff through the business because you almost certainly cannot.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Well I was looking at Vodafone, two phones with shared 375 minutes and shared 300 texts is £70. But on personal plans I get two phones each with 225 minutes and 250 texts for £50 (i.e. 450 mins+500 text vs 375mins + 300 text)

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

And don't ask whether you can put a personal tariff through the business because you almost certainly cannot.

Do you have advice from an accountant on this?

I tend to follow Peter's thoughts in that if you can get a Personal Tariff through a business account then you'd be fine.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Do you have advice from an accountant on this?

I tend to follow Peter's thoughts in that if you can get a Personal Tariff through a business account then you'd be fine.
            It doesn't have to be a business tariff, but it does have to be an account in the name of the business, rather than in your name with the business name included in the address.

If you can convince someone to do it on a better deal, then do it.

Three do - two phones for £64 a month, with 1000 minutes included, plus free 3-to-3 calls. or £30 per phone a month for 750 minutes and 100 texts.

Sounds like you might need to shop around...
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

T-Mobile do Flext Business tarrifs at the same cost as personal ones.

Or at least they did when we took out ours earlier this year.

Comment

Same for Orange.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                  We've been through this lots of times.

Yes it is almost definitely worth doing despite the higher tariffs. You also get better support.

Your wife however can't have a phone unless she's an employee or director of YourCo Ltd.

Utter Cockrot - I'm with Orange and doing just that.
                  Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                    Utter Cockrot - I'm with Orange and doing just that.
                    If you have a contract that is in your name, rather than the company, then you should not be claiming the whole thing.

You can still have a "personal" tariff on a contract that is in your company name, though, which is fine.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X