• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business bank account?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business bank account?

This may sound like a very silly question - apologies in advance.

Why do I need a business bank account?

Can I open a normal account?

I have a Lloyds Off shore account which I was proposing to use to credit my invoices. Does it matter which type of account it is, as long as I keep it only for my company affairs?

Thanks

If you are runing a Ltd company then the money that comes in belongs to the company, not you.

Comment

Originally posted by PrivacyPolicy View Post

I have a Lloyds Off shore account which I was proposing to use to credit my invoices. Does it matter which type of account it is, as long as I keep it only for my company affairs?

Thanks
      You don't need a business bank account if you are a self employed sole trader.

hth

Comment

Originally posted by PrivacyPolicy View Post

Thanks
        AFAIK (and I am no expert) it's about ownership and risk inside the banking systems. "Personal" accounts can't be opened by corporate entities because there is no personal accountability and vice versa. It's all about the legailities behind the banks having the right to chase for payment and the like.

However, if your offshore is legitimate and HMRC know about it under the offshore banking disclosure rules, which as a Lloyds one they probably already do, I can't see a problem. I should ask the bank themselves.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

There is the question of how you are getting paid, or more specifically, who is getting paid. You under your own name, you under a trading name being self employed or your ltd co. If it is as a ltd co. then the account needs to be in the same name. You can't accept payments to your ltd as personal payments or the tax man gets very upset.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
          X