PDA

View Full Version : Agency commission

alpacafeet
21st October 2007, 13:41
Excuse the 'obvious' question from a first timer...

A position is advertised at say £40/hour.

Is that what I get paid from the agency i.e. they add commission on top of this and charge the client £50 or whatever... or
Do the agency take their commission out of the £40 so I get less.

Or does it depend on the agency/contract?

One agency said they were 'transparent on their rates which were between 18% and 21%'. This means nothing to me but obviously it should.

Can anyone enlighten me please

hugebrain
22nd October 2007, 08:12
It means that £40/hr is the minimum that you should consider taking. However the agent is expecting you to haggle so you should ask for around £45/£50. If you go for exactly £40 then the agent will just charge you out at £60 keep the difference.

If the agent were telling the truth at say 20%, then the rate would be £50 he would keep 20% and you would get £40. But it would be a very unusual agent to be telling the truth.

ThomasSoerensen
22nd October 2007, 08:17
But it would be a very unusual agent to be telling the truth.

I think they implode if they even try.

threaded
22nd October 2007, 08:44
I think they implode if they even try.

This assumes, and it is a big assumption (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar8bXYS-eKQ), that an agent knows what the truth is in order that they might try. :laugh

realityhack
22nd October 2007, 08:47
Threaded - first question - have you put that youtube link in every single post since you uploaded it? Second question - are you competing to get the highest no. of unique hits/views or something? ;)

threaded
22nd October 2007, 08:52
Threaded - first question - have you put that youtube link in every single post since you uploaded it? Second question - are you competing to get the highest no. of unique hits/views or something? ;)

All will be revealed on Thursday, possibly somewhere near Jagtvej 69 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar8bXYS-eKQ), along with a leg shaving ceremony. :wink

Moose423956
22nd October 2007, 09:11
threaded, what is your avatar? Is it a load of sumo wrestlers bending down?

Bluebird
22nd October 2007, 09:12
it also assumes there is a job in the first place...

The Lone Gunman
22nd October 2007, 09:14
threaded, what is your avatar? Is it a load of sumo wrestlers bending down?It is a batch of sausage rolls he made for a light healthy snack one morning. Apparently they looked so good he took their picture. They took longer to make than they did to eat by some distance.

threaded
22nd October 2007, 09:14

Very good! I think we may have someone here who 'gets' the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar8bXYS-eKQ).

DaveB
22nd October 2007, 09:17

Is that what I get paid from the agency i.e. they add commission on top of this and charge the client £50 or whatever... or

One agency said they were 'transparent on their rates which were between 18% and 21%'. This means nothing to me but obviously it should.

The advertised rate ( X ) is the rate you will get, subject to haggling. If you run your own ltd you will invoice the agency for X + VAT.

The agency will add their margin ( Y% ) to this amount. They will then invoice the client for ( X * Y ) + VAT.

If you are happy with the rate you are getting then dont worry too much about what the agency is getting. If it turns out the agency are getting a very large margin then there may be issues with the client expecting a certain amount of value from you based on what they are paying and you delivering something less based on what you are getting.

Moose423956
22nd October 2007, 09:19
Very good! I think we may have someone here who 'gets' the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar8bXYS-eKQ).

Do I? :confused:

Churchill
22nd October 2007, 09:28

It's his elevenses. Then he has his twelveses and his oneses, all that cycling and shagging of diplomats wives really takes it out of him.

arthur_cider
22nd October 2007, 09:43
alpacafeet

The agent would have a fixed rate offered by their client, the agent then skims-off their ‘wack’, therefore the rate offered to you is the rate that you get

You may then 'haggle' with the agent way before your CV goes over to the client remembering that (s)he is also 'haggling' with other contractors

Forget what the agent makes out of the contract, its what your happy with, the agent is there to make money too so a contractor(s) CV(s), with a lower rate, will be put forward

In my early days of contracting (20 years now) I lost a long term role with GSK at Brentford for a miserable fiver, sitting at home counting my loss, since then I’ve let the agent tell me what the rate is, if its ridiculously low then I voice my opinion and if they stick at that rate then the jobs not for me

Good luck with contracting

TheFaQQer
22nd October 2007, 10:39

There are two ways that an agency can work. Either they work on a percentage commission, or they work on a fixed budget. This sounds like to former - you get £40+VAT and they bill the client £40+commission+VAT. Therefore, it is in their interest to get you the biggest rate that they can. This is typically the model used for preferred supplier lists.

If they are working on a fixed budget, then they are given (e.g.) £100 an hour + VAT to find someone. If they can find someone at £10+VAT an hour, then they keep the rest and do very well. If they have to find someone at £90+VAT then they don't. In this scenario, it is in their interest to find the lowest paid contractor so that they make the most money.

hugebrain
22nd October 2007, 10:51
If they are working on a fixed budget, then they are given (e.g.) £100 an hour + VAT to find someone. If they can find someone at £10+VAT an hour, then they keep the rest and do very well. If they have to find someone at £90+VAT then they don't. In this scenario, it is in their interest to find the lowest paid contractor so that they make the most money.

So 20 grand a year for making four phone calls and doing some simple paperwork is not doing very well? No wonder people like you get ripped off so much! If they do that once a week, it's a million squid a year.

TheFaQQer
22nd October 2007, 11:09
So 20 grand a year for making four phone calls and doing some simple paperwork is not doing very well? No wonder people like you get ripped off so much! If they do that once a week, it's a million squid a year.

I don't think I said that working on a percentage basis was not doing well. Maybe it's in the tiny invisible writing, but I've just re-read it, and I can't see it there.

I'm sure that you're right though, whatever your point is.

TheFaQQer
22nd October 2007, 11:09
I don't think I said that working on a percentage basis was not doing well. Maybe it's in the tiny invisible writing, but I've just re-read it, and I can't see it there.

Nope - just read it again, and it doesn't say that a percentage basis isn't doing well.

NotAllThere
22nd October 2007, 11:13
In order to get one client for you, they may well have to make over 200 calls. And to get the candidates for the client, they may have to make a fair few calls as well. Maybe 0.5% of the calls make actually produce a result. Having said that, they're still all lazy, greedy, stupid, untrustworthy scum.

TheFaQQer
22nd October 2007, 11:18
Having said that, they're still all lazy, greedy, stupid, untrustworthy scum.

Apart from DA, who we love.

And is obviously still recovering in a Paris gutter somewhere.

threaded
22nd October 2007, 11:19
In order to get one client for you, they may well have to make over 200 calls. And to get the candidates for the client, they may have to make a fair few calls as well. Maybe 0.5% of the calls make actually produce a result. Having said that, they're still all lazy, greedy, stupid, untrustworthy scum.

Only agents who play the percentages do that. What I would call a proper agent will make maybe 3 or at a push 4 calls to place you.

Yet to be in a position to make those 3 or 4 calls they've had to work quite hard.

realityhack
22nd October 2007, 11:21
Only agents who play the percentages do that. What I would call a proper agent will make maybe 3 or at a push 4 calls to place you.

Yet to be in a position to make those 3 or 4 calls they've had to work quite hard.
Threaded - are you ok? You didn't post a link to your youtube video! other than in your signature... come on man - don't slack now. :eek:

TheFaQQer
22nd October 2007, 11:21

You're slipping - there was no link there to YouTube

TheFaQQer
22nd October 2007, 11:22
Threaded - are you ok? You didn't post a link to your youtube video! :eek:

You're slipping - there was no link there to YouTube

Spooky - are you me?

SallyAnne
22nd October 2007, 11:22
Apart from DA, who we love.

:rollin: yeah right!!!

btw - I always thought it was some sort of pasta. Some sort of gnochi stuff.

realityhack
22nd October 2007, 11:23
Spooky - are you me?
Does it matter? We're both Spartacus anyway. :rolleyes:

TheFaQQer
22nd October 2007, 11:24
:rollin: yeah right!!!

btw - I always thought it was some sort of pasta. Some sort of gnochi stuff.

:spel gnocchi

threaded
22nd October 2007, 11:25
You're slipping - there was no link there to YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar8bXYS-eKQ)
You didn't see it? :cool3:

hugebrain
22nd October 2007, 12:33

Always ready to help the disabled.

The boxy thing at the top shows what is quoted. "then they don't" is the specific place where you said that a £10/hr mark-up isn't doing very well.