• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opt in / Opt out - whats it all about?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opt in / Opt out - whats it all about?

Anyone fancy providing a nice straightforward (if there is one) overview of opting in or out of this agency thing???

What are the pro's and con's?

First contract possibly starting in next few weeks, not been interviewed yet (which seems to make a difference according to other posts)

I know its covered on First Timers, but it doesnt really give the 'lay mans' point of view i need.

cheers

Head over to PCG (www.pcg.org.uk). On the left side of the page, hover over the Member Services, then Expert Guides and select 'Guide to Agency Regulations'. This is a nice, clearly written and explained guide to opting in/out..
    The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Use the search facility on the board. This topic has been covered many times in different ways so you are bound to find one you understand.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Use the search facility on the board. This topic has been covered many times in different ways so you are bound to find one you understand.
        Oooh - new avatar.

Much better, but still no sign of the norks.

Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Opt in if you want to be inside of IR35 and pay lots more tax. Opt out if you don't.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            Opt in if you want to be inside of IR35 and pay lots more tax. Opt out if you don't.
            Opting in has no direct impact on IR35 status - at best it is marginal, since it could be argued that there is less risk involved in opting in.

Opting out makes the agency job easier, and means that they can tie you in to stop you going direct, or through another agency. Opting in means that they can't tie you in, and need to pay you for the work that you do.

It's been done a number of times on here over and over again.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

If you are truly operating as a business not a disguised employee then I don't see how you can opt in. Doesn't opting in imply you are an agency worker?

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceNamor View Post
                If you are truly operating as a business not a disguised employee then I don't see how you can opt in. Doesn't opting in imply you are an agency worker?
                You are opted in unless you have specifically been asked by the agency [before you meet the client i.e. when they sign you up, or you have gone out of your way to tell the agency so in writing. As most agencies don't bother to ask you before you meet the client then legally you are opted in no matter what the agent states later.

If you use the search facility you will discover cases where whether your opted in or not becomes an issue i.e. when the agency tries not to pay up.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

OPT OUT if you want the contract

Comment

Originally posted by arthur_cider View Post
                    OPT OUT if you want the contract
                    You are an agent, and I claim my £5 worth of hair gel.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X