• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to London

Dear All

I am an IT contractor working in Ireland for the last 2 years, and thinking of moving to London next year.

Just wanted to know how is the market at the moment in the ASP.NET area? Is it difficult to find work? I have 4+ years experience in .NET now, and almost 10 years in IT in general.

And also, is the system in the UK similar to the one in Ireland? I have an umbrella company at the moment, which I find quite good since I am not very good in accounts

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advices.

Johann

Hi Johann,

Read the sticky threads re: starting up etc, then get back to us with any specific questions.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

(and use the search function!)
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by JohannM View Post
        Dear All

I am an IT contractor working in Ireland for the last 2 years, and thinking of moving to London next year.
        Don't - it's fecking awful.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

thanks

Hi Ruprect

At least can you tell me how the market is? Is it worth to come to London in the first place?

Comment

You'll need minimum £350 a day to afford somewhere to live.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

You can find places to live that aren't too expensive if you're prepared to live Zone 4 or further out. Doesn't mean it'll take an eternity to travel to the centre either - trains can be a lot quicker than a tube plodding in from a crowded Zone 2 spot.
              If you can work and live in London, you won't need to run a car (in fact it'll be a liability for travel within the place).
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

350 a week

Yeah that is what I will be looking for when I move. With 5 years experience in .NET and almost 10 years in IT, I think its possible.

Comment

Yeh, and the moment you've got a few of years of investment banking under your arm you'll be earning double that, so get over here and join the party!

Comment

moving to london

Hey Bovered

At last some inspirational advice

Thanks, looking forward to join the party!

Comment

Working...
                    X