• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Contract

Hello Everyone
    I have got a contract in Leeds and it is starting on Thursday next week.
    I have got the contract doc but I haven't signed nor sent it to the agency. In the meantime I have got another contract in London, which is local to me. What should I do with the first contract. This there a problem if I reject it now. Can the agency take any legal action?
    I there a difference if have signed it?

Thanks

Nope, the agency can do nothing as long as you haven't signed anything.

The agent will be pissed but you've done nothing wrong by law, as long as you haven't signed anything.

Comment

If you've verbally agreed, then legally, that's a contract. Awfully hard to prove though. Do what your conscience tells you.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Voyager View Post
        Hello Everyone
        I have got a contract in Leeds and it is starting on Thursday next week.
        I have got the contract doc but I haven't signed nor sent it to the agency. In the meantime I have got another contract in London, which is local to me. What should I do with the first contract. This there a problem if I reject it now. Can the agency take any legal action?
        Thanks
        If you have sent any acceptance through Email before receiving the formal documentation, the Agency may argue that you have "committed" to the contract.

In one of my contract, the Agent has indeed sent me a 10 line contract offer by Email and asked me to send acceptance before they despatched the formal documents.
        Last edited by Ashwin2007; 25 October 2007, 19:35.

Comment

Listen mate, follow your heart, and do what you want to do. Don't hack anyone off, but explain to them your reasoning openly and honestly. If they want to understand they will , but either way you must look out for yourself and your family first - there is nothing more important than that.

Take the contract close to home, but do make sure it is the best way forward in terms of rate/duration/experience.

You'll only regret moving to Leeds to work. After all it's past Bristol, and hence oop North, where the wildebeast roam the moors.

Comment

Originally posted by Flat Eric View Post
            Nope, the agency can do nothing as long as you haven't signed anything.

The agent will be pissed but you've done nothing wrong by law, as long as you haven't signed anything.
            Well you could have signed it but as long as you haven't sent it back to them

pick the one you want. i'm looking at getting up to 3 offers on the same day next week as I have 3 'second interviews' lined up. someone has to be a winner and it might as well be you

K

Comment

Originally posted by Keldin View Post
              Well you could have signed it but as long as you haven't sent it back to them
              It's still breach of contract, if you've accepted verbally. Not having it on paper makes no difference whatsoever - if you've accepted it verbally or in email, then you've accepted.

Originally posted by Keldin View Post
              pick the one you want. i'm looking at getting up to 3 offers on the same day next week as I have 3 'second interviews' lined up. someone has to be a winner and it might as well be you

K
              In future, tell the agents that you are accepting the job subject to them receiving a signed contract from you. If something better comes up, then you are free to take it, plus it may get the agency to get some paperwork sorted out quicker for you.

Of course, you could try talking to the agency in advance, and explain the situation - at least try to come out of it with some degree of mutual agreement. Some agencies are better than others, and will see your point of view that you need to do what's best for your business. Some will be more aggressive about it all, though, which you need to be prepared to deal with.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
              X