• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Polite way of saying "no" to the client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polite way of saying "no" to the client

Ok so this is the scenario shaping up for the weekend. Work to do, probably about 1/2 a day's worth, which I have been ready to do all day. For reasons out of my control, I won't be able to commence this until probably 4pm at the earliest. This needs to be done for Monday. Client expectation 1 is that I stay tonight to get it done. Not going to happen as I have something I need to be at. Expectation 2 is that I do it over the weekend.

For both (1) and (2) client will not expect me to charge, and will look on me unfavourably even though (as explained) I am unable to commence the work.

What would you do?
    We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
    - Douglas Adams

Have they actually asked you to work late/at the weekend?

Just make them aware that you need to leave at whatever time, and although you could work over the weekend, obviously you'll have to charge them time as per the terms of the contract - blame it on the agency....
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

I would look at the bigger picture as they say.

When I am doing work for a client I expect occasionally to need to do a little bit more than is truely written in our contract. I would also expect that of any other third party. B2B works like that.

If you have a potentially long term contract somewhere you enjoy, then get on with it. If you don't like it where you are then look for something else anyway.

If we have been working on a project which is going live then often I will work late into the night just before go live, for free - it is in my interests if it goes well - repeat business etc.
      Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Oterwise - day off in exchange - (paid of course) - if that suits you
        You arent a permie - so blackmail should not work!
        I've managed that before - to my benefit

Comment

I would just do it over the weekend - you say reasons you couldn't control - if I was hiring a firm to do something and they couldn't do it on a Friday (for whatever reason) and then said they could do it on a Sat but at double rate - I wouldn't be too happy.

I would just bill them for the Friday and do it over the Saturday/Sunday - seems fair enough. If they aren't going to pay you for the Friday - then I wouldn't be too keen on doing it - but may do if other factors (client relationship, long term contract etc.) came into play.

Comment

Everyone's getting soft. Work for free? Are you mad?
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

That's one of the reasons I like contracting. My contract says I am only allowed to work 7.5 hours a day. If you're doing overtime, you should be paid, or have a paid day off.... You're not a permie!
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
                I would look at the bigger picture as they say.

When I am doing work for a client I expect occasionally to need to do a little bit more than is truely written in our contract. I would also expect that of any other third party. B2B works like that.

If you have a potentially long term contract somewhere you enjoy, then get on with it. If you don't like it where you are then look for something else anyway.

If we have been working on a project which is going live then often I will work late into the night just before go live, for free - it is in my interests if it goes well - repeat business etc.
                What he said.

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
                  Ok so this is the scenario shaping up for the weekend. Work to do, probably about 1/2 a day's worth, which I have been ready to do all day. For reasons out of my control, I won't be able to commence this until probably 4pm at the earliest. This needs to be done for Monday. Client expectation 1 is that I stay tonight to get it done. Not going to happen as I have something I need to be at. Expectation 2 is that I do it over the weekend.

For both (1) and (2) client will not expect me to charge, and will look on me unfavourably even though (as explained) I am unable to commence the work.

What would you do?
                  a) What does your contract say you should do?
                  b) How important is it that you stay working there...

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post

What would you do?
                    I would make a choice an STICK with it. Worst thing is to come accross as weak, stick with your plans, you will earn your client's respect in the long run.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X