• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My first tax payment wohoo! Quick question though..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first tax payment wohoo! Quick question though..

Alright - stupid question time...

I've got a yellow bank giro credit that I need to send off to HMR with a cheque. The cheque is is obviously a company bank acc cheque but, on the yellow bank giro there's a signature and date bit..

Do I sign this or is it the people (hmr) that sign it when they pay it in?

I know.. .. a stupid question but now I come to do it, I just want to make sure I get it right...

I pay all ours via bacs, it's much easier with internet banking.

But from memory, I beleive you have to sign it.

Comment

BACS fer me too... Royail Mail employees can't nick it and stick it in a account setup called Irlandia Revenae

true & happened in the 90's
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Cool - thanks. Well I'll do that next time - I'll get this one sent off now.

So we deffo think I sign the yellow bank giro as well as the cheque?

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyBoy32 View Post
          Cool - thanks. Well I'll do that next time - I'll get this one sent off now.

So we deffo think I sign the yellow bank giro as well as the cheque?
          Yes.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Pay it online is by far the easiest way.

Comment

Can I even pay this month's online? I need to send mine off nowish.. Do I have to register/set stuff up? Can I do straight away?

Cheers.

Comment

You can pay from online account without registering. Think you can also pay by credit card etc. Doesn't it give methods on back of payslip book?

Or send null amount by email, see IR website, and sort next time. There is no legal requirement to pay correct amount in any quarter as long as what is due is paid by April 5th.
                Last edited by xoggoth; 15 November 2007, 20:37.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Hmm - ok.

My accountant sort of sorts it all out at the moment (thank god) They just send me 1 page from the yellow slip book already filled in (apart from signature)..

They said I need it to be by the end of the month - maybe just trying to keep on top of things.

Comment

You can pay online for any previous months if you want: you just change the reference to indicate the month. The normal reference means "current" month, but I've found they've got confused more than once so sometimes it's easier just to be clear.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employers/doi...1_5-10.htm#5_9
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X