• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B - Stormchasing for the TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B - Stormchasing for the TV

Typhoon Mitag (Philippines)

Typhoon Mitag is currently a CAT2 storm heading directly towards the Philippines main Island.

However the GFS (a weather forecasting model) indicates that this storm will reach CAT4 strength before landfall on Sunday. (Katrina was CAT3 at landfall) Right now I do not question the intensity forecast as environmental conditions seem to be almost ideal – (this is not in a sheared environment) and SST are 29c or above along the projected track.

Anyway Landfall, I predict will be strong CAT3 due to interaction with landmasses etc

Ether way I am regarding this as a “Chaseable” storm and so I plan to intercept this one using the same approach that I used for Typhoon Krosa during October in Taiwan.

This will be an interesting intercept in so far as the time scales are so short (given the distance) and that I HAVE to be back in London by Tuesday therefore I need to make London to London in 80 hours (with a typhoon in between).

I plan on travelling real light (most of my USA hurricane comms equipment) wont work over there anyway.

I do have to talk with my boss in the morning – but once I clear this I will bust for the airport and arrive in Manila late Saturday afternoon.

CH4 are funding the trip (and me) for a forthcoming programme (Cutting Edge)

Roll on plan B, I was not doing much this weekend anyway
    www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Doomed.

Comment

LOL Noddy - I would not say Doomed at all - I did not go after the Bangladesh storm as I could see that the storm surge would be a killer (same reason I did not go after Katrina)

FYI I do have some experance in these matters - having personally filmed over 30 tornadoes and 6 very strong Hurricanes / Typhoons.

Plus the client is paying

I just need to get into the eye to capture the fottage that many people have never seen - this is actually a tough call.

Comment

Originally posted by wxman View Post
        I just need to get into the eye to capture the fottage that many people have never seen - this is actually a tough call.
        Good luck with that. Oh and don't forget your kaghoul.
        Kneel before Bod

Comment

Could you not do a BBC and fake it?

A miniature camera and a dyson should do it.

Comment

I have blown off this intercept - just two hours before leaving to the air port - The storm will make landfall in an area with no roads - just jungle !!!

Anyway, I just heard that right now over 1,000,000 people are on the move, doing thier best to get away from this storm.

Comment

That's nothing you wannabe. I have footage of ground zero at the moment of explosion for both Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I was wearing the patented Threaded anti-nuclear suit at the time. Of course I used my time machine to get there.

Threaded.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

therefore I need to make London to London in 80 hours (with a typhoon in between).
                ...around the worldwind in 80 hours...

Comment

I have blown off this intercept - just two hours before leaving to the air port - The storm will make landfall in an area with no roads - just jungle !!!.

quitter

in all seriousness, probably a wise move
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    I was wearing the patented Threaded anti-nuclear suit at the time.

you mean you ate 3 more pies just before hitting 88mph?
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X