PDA

View Full Version : working away from home setup

chef
4th December 2007, 16:23
ok, i've decided the whole "stay in hotels, eat in restaurants" idea is rubbish and far too expensive so i've decided to rent a place to stay in during the week.

My question is, how do others in this siuation have it setup?

1) do you put your name or company name or both on the tenancy agreement?
2) do you setup a standard BT line or a business line at the property?
3) how do you pay this - direct from business account or from personal account and claim as a business expense
4) do you setup internet at the property?

thanks in advance

Chef

Bagpuss
4th December 2007, 16:28
I try to avoid renting somewhere 100% becuase of all the extra costs, council tax, utility bills, deposits, and most importantly the rental cost. I go for the houseshare option usually through Easyroomate. If you pick right you can pretty much have the run of the place to yourself and costs are low.

Hiram King Of Tyre
4th December 2007, 16:33
I use a motorhome

TheFaQQer
4th December 2007, 16:35
I try to avoid renting somewhere 100% becuase of all the extra costs, council tax, utility bills, deposits, and most importantly the rental cost. I go for the houseshare option usually through Easyroomate. If you pick right you can pretty much have the run of the place to yourself and costs are low.

Yep - I use niceroom in London, which is good.

Just moved into a nice house, 4 others there, and it's nice.

One of the girls is a 21 year old model, too.

Hiram King Of Tyre
4th December 2007, 16:36
Yep - I use niceroom in London, which is good.

Just moved into a nice house, 4 others there, and it's nice.

One of the girls is a 21 year old model, too.

Does she sleepwalk?

TheFaQQer
4th December 2007, 16:40
Does she sleepwalk?

Not yet.

But the webcam should be installed later this week :)

Hiram King Of Tyre
4th December 2007, 16:43
I know...accessible on 0908........

TimberWolf
4th December 2007, 18:47
I use a motorhome

I occasionally considered that option. Some questions:

Where do you park? Is the battery adequate to meet all your electricity requirements? Where do you empty the dunny?

kirk
4th December 2007, 18:59
Stuff that - I invoice my expenses to the client - hotels and restaurants all the way :wink

Hiram King Of Tyre
4th December 2007, 22:37
I occasionally considered that option. Some questions:

Where do you park? Is the battery adequate to meet all your electricity requirements? Where do you empty the dunny?

I park it on private property. £50pw including shower and toilet facilities.

RandyW
4th December 2007, 22:46

Is your motorhome company owned?

TimberWolf
4th December 2007, 23:55

Darn, I was hoping you’d say in (free) picturesque spots by mountain streams or some such. £50/week is more than I usually pay for my dives in bedsit land.

threaded
5th December 2007, 08:27
ok, i've decided the whole "stay in hotels, eat in restaurants" idea is rubbish and far too expensive

That'll be because you've not got a decent accountant.

It should be cheaper than the alternatives you've suggested.

TheFaQQer
5th December 2007, 08:28
Darn, I was hoping you’d say in (free) picturesque spots by mountain streams or some such. £50/week is more than I usually pay for my dives in bedsit land.

I know someone who just parked his in the client car park, and ran an electric hookup from there through a window.

Client site had 24 hour access, toilets and showers, so he had very little black or even grey water.

milanbenes
5th December 2007, 08:28
Chef,

if you're trying to work away from your home setup,

I suggest you get a wireless router.

Milan.

Lockhouse
5th December 2007, 08:32
I do;

1) Company name
2) Residential line in the business name
3) Direct from business account
4) Yes

I work in London but live just on the edge of commuting distance (3 1/2 hours a day). I rent for 6 months and go home at weekends then I commute for 3 months just to make sure the wife remembers who I am. When I've had enough of the travel I go back to renting again. I charge everything to the company including my council tax.

ok, i've decided the whole "stay in hotels, eat in restaurants" idea is rubbish and far too expensive so i've decided to rent a place to stay in during the week.

My question is, how do others in this siuation have it setup?

1) do you put your name or company name or both on the tenancy agreement?
2) do you setup a standard BT line or a business line at the property?
3) how do you pay this - direct from business account or from personal account and claim as a business expense
4) do you setup internet at the property?

thanks in advance

Chef

rootsnall
5th December 2007, 08:54
I know someone who just parked his in the client car park.

I had a mate did this for a number of years and used the local sports centre for his morning shower if there wasn't anything available at work.

Personally I used to shop around until I found a decent B&B in a good location where I could leave stuff at the weekend. I've always managed to find OK village locations near to Slough, Crawley, etc It sometimes means a bit of a commute but preserves the sanity a little longer.

Hiram King Of Tyre
5th December 2007, 09:29
Is your motorhome company owned?

At the moment it's personally owned but I am investigating other more tax efficient options

chef
5th December 2007, 09:46
That'll be because you've not got a decent accountant.

It should be cheaper than the alternatives you've suggested.

go on then threaded I'll bite.. how should it be cheaper? and how is that related to my accountant and his abilities?

There is no difference as far as i see in paying either hotel bills or rental/utility bills as long as both are paid direct from the company account.

If I or SJD (my accountants) are missing something here then please enlighten us with your knowledge :D

threaded
5th December 2007, 10:00
go on then threaded I'll bite.. how should it be cheaper? and how is that related to my accountant and his abilities?

There is no difference as far as i see in paying either hotel bills or rental/utility bills as long as both are paid direct from the company account.

If I or SJD (my accountants) are missing something here then please enlighten us with your knowledge :D

There is a difference to the tax people: one way is temporary accomodation, the other way is just a second abode. Temporary is tax deductable, second abode isn't.

Unless of course the tax law in the UK have changed recently.

Bagpuss
5th December 2007, 10:06
When you say motorhome, are we talking Winnebago or 1980s Bedford Rascal caravantte?

~Craig~
5th December 2007, 10:26
When you say motorhome, are we talking Winnebago or 1980s Bedford Rascal caravantte?

A transit van with a matress in the back :D

Bagpuss
5th December 2007, 10:34
Well that's what I'm bringing to the christmas do:wink

chef
5th December 2007, 10:44
There is a difference to the tax people: one way is temporary accomodation, the other way is just a second abode. Temporary is tax deductable, second abode isn't.

Unless of course the tax law in the UK have changed recently.

that's all fine and good then, this is a temporary second abode as it is only for the duration of my contract, hence the words "rent" rather than "buy" ;) when the contract is up I will either cancel the rent and continue living oop north or I will get another contract and continue my temporary rented accomodation. The rent is being paid direct from the company account and is in the company name..

Thanks for the advice though, a pie is in the post :D

rootsnall
5th December 2007, 10:51
that's all fine and good then, this is a temporary second abode as it is only for the duration of my contract, hence the words "rent" rather than "buy" ;) when the contract is up I will either cancel the rent and continue living oop north or I will get another contract and continue my temporary rented accomodation. The rent is being paid direct from the company account and is in the company name..

Thanks for the advice though, a pie is in the post :D

I've had two accountants who both advised that renting a second pad ( rather than hotels ) was a bit dodgy tax wise. Plenty seem to do it and get away with it though. SA had a thread a while back were she got pulled up for it but then let off the hook when it was challenged. If you own a 'permanent' residence elsewhere you are pretty safe.

TheFaQQer
5th December 2007, 10:57
I've had two accountants who both advised that renting a second pad ( rather than hotels ) was a bit dodgy tax wise. Plenty seem to do it and get away with it though. SA had a thread a while back were she got pulled up for it but then let off the hook when it was challenged. If you own a 'permanent' residence elsewhere you are pretty safe.

The key bit is having a permanent residence elsewhere - if you have then you are fine. If you haven't then you can't claim it as work-related, since it's an expense that you would have had to incur anyway.

ladymuck
5th December 2007, 11:02

Thanks for the tip, have been looking for a decent house share site, never know which ones are worth looking at!

Bagpuss
5th December 2007, 11:15
I've used them twice and both times had a good experience, you have to be fairly quick off the mark to get a good one though. If you put mon-thursday only needed they often bite your hand off and possibly knock a little off the rent. Good luck

EternalOptimist
5th December 2007, 11:19
I stay in a hotel for the first week, then visit all the local supermarkets to look at the small ads. You will always find a widow or a hard up couple who have a spare room.
No hidden costs, little or no commuting, pub handy, its great.

The one I am in now is the most expensive ever at £80 pw in Perivale

:rolleyes:

ladymuck
5th December 2007, 11:41
I'm driving this week as I'm only doing two days (tomorrow and Friday). Next week I'm booked into a hotel and I'll most likely do the same till the end of the month and look for a house share from January. It's only a three month contract so no point laying out a fortune.

Hiram King Of Tyre
5th December 2007, 13:45

Buerstner 747-2

EqualOpportunities
5th December 2007, 17:37
Buerstner 747-2

I'd say about £37950 for a 3 year old one with 14k miles, in nice condition with a few extras :D

TheFaQQer
5th December 2007, 17:43
I'd say about £37950 for a 3 year old one with 14k miles, in nice condition with a few extras :D

Surely you'd be better off getting a new Carioca instead for that kind of money?

VectraMan
5th December 2007, 17:47
I have a friend and ex-colleague who lets me rent his spare room for £20 a night whenever I feel like it (generally when I have to be in 2 days running like today). I should be doing 2 days on site, 3 at home soon so will just stay once a week.

Easy walk to pubs etc., no other costs (except a pub meal but I could cook if I wanted to). Much better than the Travelodge.

EqualOpportunities
5th December 2007, 17:52
Surely you'd be better off getting a new Carioca instead for that kind of money?

I imagine you're quite right mate.

Hiram King Of Tyre
5th December 2007, 22:28

What makes you say that?

EqualOpportunities
6th December 2007, 16:07
What makes you say that?

Nothing particular.

Hiram King Of Tyre
6th December 2007, 16:17
Nothing particular.

I asked because you were spot on on the mileage but £10k out on the price

EqualOpportunities
6th December 2007, 19:46
I asked because you were spot on on the mileage but £10k out on the price

That'd be a good buy then mate. Assuming it was 10k cheaper.

Hiram King Of Tyre
7th December 2007, 10:41
Yes, I bought it in 05, it was an 02 model. £27.5k sorted