• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setting up ltd without UK address

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up ltd without UK address

Yet another query while I find my first contract.

I have been told I will need to set up a Ltd company in order to start contracting through Uk agencies even though I have my French business over here (too be honest I don't mind this in the slightest).

Obviously I don't have an address in the UK, so what would be the best way to do this? I do have an few family members addresses I could use, but would I also be able to do it using a 'virtual office'; the kind where you have an address at a mail drop location?

Thanks for the help,

Rich

Yes. Any address that is not a PO Box will do.

Ask the virtual office providers as some may not let you do this but most probably would. Other than that ask a family member.

Comment

Originally posted by richclever View Post
      I have been told I will need to set up a Ltd company in order to start contracting through Uk agencies...
      Not all agencies insist on this. Of course, the more your skills are in demand, the more flexible they'll be. I'm very happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that your French company can, legally, trade in the UK. Agents don't want to do it, because they fear they'll be liable when you abscond without paying your taxes.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thanks Guys,

yes, I don't see any reason myself as to why I can't use my French company, but as I'm going to relocate back to the UK in 18 months I may as well have a UK company anyway.

I've looked at some virtual office companies and they seem to say it's no problem having it as the registered address at Company house so that's fine.

Any recommendations of good ones?

Also, would accountants also provide a registered address or not. I seem to remember having heard of this but maybe it was just my imagination or alcohol induced!

Comment

I use MBE. They rather convenient with many branches across London.

Comment

Thanks,
            I'll have a look.

Rich

Comment

many years ago I used these guys, they were pretty good, and always forwarded my mail and answered
              calls.

Comment

Your accountant's

Ask your accountant if you can use his as a Registered Address. Very convenient and that way he'll get all the stuff from HMRC and you won't have to forward them.
                A 'Registered' address may or may not be the same as the 'Trading' address for a Ltd. Co.

Comment

thanks for the info.

At the moment I obviously don't have a uk accountant as I've not got a UK business yet but will be in contact with the one my brother uses when the time comes to set up.

Comment

Working...
                  X