• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training

Hi All,
    I've been Oracle Contracting for just over 2 years. I'm at a stage at the moment, where I'd quite like to change direction slightly/add to my skill set.

Just interested what people's general experiences are on taking training as a Contractor. I've been on loads of courses over the years as a Consultant, and have been on some good and some bad ones. But generally my experience was that unless I used the skill learnt on the training course almost immediately the course was a bit of a waste of time.

There's a few courses out there that I'm interested in, but the last thing I want to do is spend £2k + on a 5 day course that isn't going to help me get work in the future.

Cheers,

Mike

Depends on what direction you want to do.

I did the OCP DBA qualification earlier this year - three weeks course and exams, and it wasn't too expensive.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
      Hi All,
      I've been Oracle Contracting for just over 2 years. I'm at a stage at the moment, where I'd quite like to change direction slightly/add to my skill set.

Just interested what people's general experiences are on taking training as a Contractor. I've been on loads of courses over the years as a Consultant, and have been on some good and some bad ones. But generally my experience was that unless I used the skill learnt on the training course almost immediately the course was a bit of a waste of time.

There's a few courses out there that I'm interested in, but the last thing I want to do is spend £2k + on a 5 day course that isn't going to help me get work in the future.

Cheers,

Mike
      I think the key is from what base you are coming from and what the slight change in direction you are looking to take is. I think your theory regarding using what you learn in training for technical courses as soon as possible is true. However if the purpose behind doing the training is to get contracts i.e. you are mainly just after the piece of paper then something like a Prince 2 (i.e. more functional than technical) is probably better suited i.e. better value.

Also have you considered doing the course elsewhere i.e. not in the UK. Often a lot cheaper. If your not keen on that at least try and get a discount (sometimes 10-15%) through the PCG if your a member.

Personally I think it's crucial in the Oracle game to keep updating your skills.

Comment

My background is mainly Technical, and I certainly intend to continue that way. I've worked on lots of Prince2 projects, and have a good appreciation of the techniques, but I don't really have too much interest in becoming a PM.

I've been doing lots of DB design (Designer), APEX, PL/SQL, Discoverer, BI Publisher. There's enough work in it to keep me going at the moment, I'm just conscious that it's important to keep adding relevant skills to the CV, plus I wouldn't mind a change to make things a bit more interesting. The OCP DBA course is definitely an option, a friend did the course in Goa, and there always seems to be DBA work around..?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
          The OCP DBA course is definitely an option, a friend did the course in Goa, and there always seems to be DBA work around..?
          Sounds to me like that might be your answer although Faqqer might be best positioned to give more advice on this one.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X