• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

They are trying to kill us here.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are trying to kill us here.....

I know permies hate contractors, but electrocution is a little extreme.

There is a leak from the ceiling, all along the electric plugs area by the printer. Just printed something, came out covered in water.

I have told a member of senior management, she just said the guy to report it to is not around, and carries on.

There is a serious danger of electrocution here with a lot of water around plugs and printers, but nobody seems to care.

Just like the approach to project management I would argue......

There is one city company that has its data center inside large tents, in the various server rooms.

Apparently, when some Irish types decided to blow things up one time, the water thingies on the roof ruptured, and the water spilled in, causing quite a nuisance.

So, to prevent a repeat of this, they put everything inside tents. Not polythene sheets that look like tents, but these camper style family tents that you can buy at caravan type shops. Most with garish stripes, one even with a flower pattern.

And the bosses get real prickly if you laugh when you see it.

threaded in "I kid you not" mode.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      I have told a member of senior management, she just said the guy to report it to is not around, and carries on.
      Since you have told them it is now wilful. That'll increase the settlement no end. If you want to do what's best for your family the decent thnig would be to go and stick your finger in the puddle. Your estate should get a really good settlement.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        There is one city company that has its data center inside large tents, in the various server rooms.

Apparently, when some Irish types decided to blow things up one time, the water thingies on the roof ruptured, and the water spilled in, causing quite a nuisance.

So, to prevent a repeat of this, they put everything inside tents. Not polythene sheets that look like tents, but these camper style family tents that you can buy at caravan type shops. Most with garish stripes, one even with a flower pattern.

And the bosses get real prickly if you laugh when you see it.

threaded in "I kid you not" mode.
        Oi!!!
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I know permies hate contractors, but electrocution is a little extreme...
          When I was at a very large corporation, contractors were instructed to stay at their desks when the fire alarm goes off.

We had a fire drill and someone noticed the Helpdesk contractors had not attended at the assembly point. Comments were made about them having sloped off to the pub.

The Helpdesk Manager proudly and loudly announced his contractors were still at their desks, as per instructions.

Facilities Management had something to say about that!

"And I suppose you expect us to go in and fetch them if it is a real fire, do you? 'Cos we won't."
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Update... There is a cleaner with a cloth cleaning up the water around the printer (still plugged in) and the wet plug sockets.

I dutifully advised that this is probably not a cool idea.

Sadly her grasp of English is not sufficient to comprehend my well meaning concern and giving me strange looks.

I give up.

As you can probably tell, there is no work to do here today and I am here for face time so I don't lose a days rate.

Plan to get my lappie and coat into the car at lunch, then slide away at 2:30pm....

I hate face time.

Comment

I know permies hate contractors, but electrocution is a little extreme.

There is a leak from the ceiling, all along the electric plugs area by the printer. Just printed something, came out covered in water.

There is a serious danger of electrocution here with a lot of water around plugs and printers, but nobody seems to care.

Just like the approach to project management I would argue......
              I'm a permie. I LOVE Edit: most contractors!
              Last edited by Moose423956; 31 December 2007, 12:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
                I'm a permie. I LOVE contractors!

Comment

Working...
                X