• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best way to cancel a previously agreed extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to cancel a previously agreed extension

So.... I find myself in a situation that I'd rather not be in.

Having enjoyed several consecutive stints with the current client, I've just (verbally) accepted another extension (due to start in a few weeks time).

However for various project-related reasons (which I wasn't aware of prior to accepting the extension) I'd really like to walk away and not renew at this time.

Generally I'd go with the professional approach and stick it out till the end but seeing as I've not even started the extension yet I'd now like to walk away when my current contract expires (in about 3 weeks).

I don't want to p!ss the client off as we've had a good relationship so far and I can see the chance of future work. Any suggestions for the best way to get out of this?
    Do what thou wilt

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

Having enjoyed several consecutive stints with the current client, I've just (verbally) accepted another extension (due to start in a few weeks time).

However for various project-related reasons (which I wasn't aware of prior to accepting the extension) I'd really like to walk away and not renew at this time.

Generally I'd go with the professional approach and stick it out till the end but seeing as I've not even started the extension yet I'd now like to walk away when my current contract expires (in about 3 weeks).

I don't want to p!ss the client off as we've had a good relationship so far and I can see the chance of future work. Any suggestions for the best way to get out of this?
    The way I see it, if you want to walk for good, walk.

If you want to stay in good relationships, extend! Address any challenges and remain professional.

Sounds like you will not be able to walk, then ever return.

Comment

What's your notice period? You could just give notice.

Talk to the client - explain you have had a change of mind / personal circumstances / whatever you can think of. Offer to extend but only until they find a replacement and for a maximum of a month.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Wouldn't it be terrible if something horrible happened to a member of family you haven't seen for ages and meant you had to drop everything and rush over to <place far away> to support them for an indefinate period of time....

You would have to apologise and refuse the contract extension because of this problem, but you could let them know when it is all sorted so that they can contact you again for any work you may be able to do for them in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
          Wouldn't it be terrible if something horrible happened to a member of family you haven't seen for ages and meant you had to drop everything and rush over to <place far away> to support them for an indefinate period of time....

You would have to apologise and refuse the contract extension because of this problem, but you could let them know when it is all sorted so that they can contact you again for any work you may be able to do for them in the future.
          Yes, it's a tragedy when that strikes, isn't it

Someone I knew had a habit of breaking his leg every so often and not being able to get to client site for eight weeks at a time...
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

Exercise you right of substitution. You are ir35 compliant, I assume.

Comment

Exercise you right of substitution. You are ir35 compliant, I assume.
              He is a company, his company doesnt want to extend its relationship with the client, which consultant it sends in is irrelvant.

Comment

I had a similar situation. Had been extended 3 times and had been there 2 years. They insisted however, that for my next extension that they had to "interview" me again. I accepted the interview, which incidentally was a week AFTER my contract ended. I took the hint and got another gig to start staight away. When I rang to say I wasn't coming back they seemed quite understanding.

However....6 months down the line, I still see my old job being advertised. As my current contract was coming to an end I contacted my old boss "no problem..we'll have you back (no training needed you see)"

Strangely though, I didn't even get an interview.

Someone in Human Remains had sifted me out

My old boss "Knew nothing about it and would get back to me"

He didn't - I took the hint again

(it was a government contract btw)
                Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                  The way I see it, if you want to walk for good, walk.

If you want to stay in good relationships, extend! Address any challenges and remain professional.

Sounds like you will not be able to walk, then ever return.
                  Yep thats kinda the way I see it too. Unfortunate as it's a nice site that's close-ish to home (25min commute).

I'll think on it some more (as I always do) but I might lose the will to live if I do stay on given what I know now....
                  Do what thou wilt

Comment

This thread is recommending far too much unnecessary deviousness I think. Your verbal acceptance signified an intention to stay on, but things have changed. No shame in that. You haven't signed anything. It happens all the time: If I had £1 for every time I'd been told "We're going to need you for this piece of work...oh no, it's been canned" I'd be a good few quids richer.

Just tell them you're no longer in a position to do it, for whatever reason. 3 weeks is ample notice for them to make other arrangements. If you do want to come back at a later date, suggest when you'll be available. If you do it all honestly and professionally, chances are there will be no loss of goodwill.

Comment

Working...
                    X