• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you enjoy working in the IT industry?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you enjoy working in the IT industry?

…or is it just a means to an end?

Personally my initial excitement is fading fast as I find myself wishing I was doing something else but with my skills I can’t think of anything that will pay me anywhere near as much with such little effort.
    I love it and can’t see myself getting bored any time soon.
    17.65%
    How did I end up doing this carp? Should have tried harder at school.
    60.78%
    I am AndyW etc etc…
    21.57%
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

I don't work in the IT industry, I work for a company that manufactures a product, I run the team that writes the software for that product.

Churchill - In "IT Industry my arse!" mode!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      I don't work in the IT industry, I work for a company that manufactures a product, I run the team that writes the software for that product.

Yep. What the ma... dog said.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        I know what you're saying, proper 'Industry' was banished from this country a long time ago.

"Do you enjoy working in the IT sector?" ...Is that better?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Here for the money and that is all. Once I have built up my pot then I'll be off.

Comment

NO but it is still very cushy money so I'll be putting up with it a while longer.

Comment

I like it. It's better than cutting people up or looking in their mouths all day IMO.

Although you do what's necessary to get the job done.
              Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

I don't think I like the job that much, but I like what it pays me, so I keep doing it...
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I think it is a very good job for tape changers like Milan who get more money out of what they are really worth.

But if you are excellent at what you do and do progress a lot in your knowledge you would hardly see your increased value recognised morally or economically like in other fields happen (example: lawyers, doctors, solicitors, chemists, etc.).

Let's admit it, it's not rocket science to get a well sought after technical skill and make loads of money out of it but it's very hard to become a professional ITer with a global knowledge of the subject. Yet the latter would not guarantee you the effort you spend on. Well, to be fair IT is a young discipline and it will take many years before it matures to a good standard like other fields.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                    I like it. It's better than cutting people up or looking in their mouths all day IMO.

Although you do what's necessary to get the job done.
                    I don't know that sounds quite good fun. I should have studied to be a Medical Examiner that does postmortems. That would be a fun job, cutting people up to find out how they died....

I could then run around solving mysteries and bedding random blondes with spouting self rightous crap.

I could have been QUINCEY!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X