• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

alcohol, violence and pikeys

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alcohol, violence and pikeys

ANyone see the Sky report last night on alcohol and violence? Following the police in warrington on a saturday night. Sadly, what they showed was typical of any town centre street at the weekend.

The problem then is how to stop the alcohol related problems such as violence and kids who can't stand up straight they are so drunk. My answer is to tax the hell out of alcohol, £8 a pint in pubs.

Just a thought...

Older and ...well, just older!!

you are gordon brown and I claim my £5.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well that would defintely work to be fair
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

But why should those who do drink responsibly be hit by these taxes? Seems to be universal answer these days, whether drinking/people trafficing/WHY - bring in more rules/taxes that hit everybody instead of tackling those who present the problems.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          But why should those who do drink responsibly be hit by these taxes? Seems to be universal answer these days, whether drinking/people trafficing/WHY - bring in more rules/taxes that hit everybody instead of tackling those who present the problems.
          Well said. Welcome to the Labour government.

and by the way, you're welcome to it.
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Well that would defintely work to be fair
            I'm not so sure, it'd increase thefts, muggings and burglaries exponentially, as the little darlings tried to get cash for the booze.
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
              ANyone see the Sky report last night on alcohol and violence? Following the police in warrington on a saturday night. Sadly, what they showed was typical of any town centre street at the weekend.

The problem then is how to stop the alcohol related problems such as violence and kids who can't stand up straight they are so drunk. My answer is to tax the hell out of alcohol, £8 a pint in pubs.

Just a thought...

Pubs are not the problem, supermarkets selling cider for the equivalent of 26p a pint is, I know it’s in the daily mail but I heard it on radio 2.

When I was a kid we would meet in the park with whatever we could liberate from the parents drinks cabinet, so between us we'd be drinking Campari, Harvey’s Bristol Cream and neat Pimms No.1.

26p… They've never had it so good!
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                The tax isn't meant to be a deterrent, it's a revenue stream.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post

Just a thought...

Ban alcopops, that's probably the main reason for the excessive drunkeness, especially with the young female population.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Price of booze is very low - frankly drinking alcohol free beer is very noticeably more expensive than normal booze. That's ain't right - there should be a minimum price of at least £2 per pint of any alcohol sold in supermarkets. £20 on a liter of braking fluid.

Comment

Working...
                    X