• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Geek Query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geek Query

Why is it that we have to type in those funny security words and letters whenever we want to sign up to anything? Why are they written in such an odd, skewed way they are hardly readable at all?

Originally posted by Denny View Post
    Why is it that we have to type in those funny security words and letters whenever we want to sign up to anything? Why are they written in such an odd, skewed way they are hardly readable at all?
    You are a Spambot and I claim my 500 spam messages per day!

Comment

It's called captcha.

It's so that robots / screenscrapers etc. can't keep signing up automatically as they need some kind of manual check. I used to have it on my wiki, but I kept forgetting that I needed to type a word in each time, so gave up in the end.

Since no-one ever visits it, there wasn't much point
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        It's called captcha.

It's so that robots / screenscarpers etc. can't keep signing up automatically as they need some kind of manual check. I used to have it on my wiki, but I kept forgetting that I needed to type a word in each time, so gave up in the end.

You need to type in a security number if you want to post on ITContractor now. It's a damned nuisance and I keep forgetting.

Comment

It's called captcha.

It's so that robots / screenscarpers etc. can't keep signing up automatically as they need some kind of manual check. I used to have it on my wiki, but I kept forgetting that I needed to type a word in each time, so gave up in the end.

but why does it have to bbe soooo difficult to read? usually takes me several goes...

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
            what a good question - did sasguru suggest it?

actually I dont think he did - r thread would have been in technical...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              but why does it have to bbe soooo difficult to read? usually takes me several goes...
              Generally, there is a parameter to provide (if it's an image) that details how scrambled the image needs to be. If enough users complain, then they may change it.

I demoed a system to the Scottish Executive a couple of years back, and it took 10 attempts to log in. They suggested we make the images a bit easier to read.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Because if it was easy to read, a piece of OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software would be able to read it, thereby defeating the whole purpose.

Although some of them nowadays are quite ridiculous... and any serious spammer will devise ways around them, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Because if it was easy to read, a piece of OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software would be able to read it, thereby defeating the whole purpose.

Although some of them nowadays are quite ridiculous... and any serious spammer will devise ways around them, anyway.
                  so then why have the one on http://www.itcontractor.com/ ?

For security purposes - Please enter the sum of the day number and the month number eg Day = 6 + Month = 2
                  Enter 8 in the box!

Apologies in advance if this is a really stupid question!

Comment

It's called captcha.

A CAPTCHA (IPA: /ˈkæptʃə/) is a type of challenge-response test used in computing to determine whether the user is human.

Did they think it would be read by the family cat then?

Comment

Working...
                    X