• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is my umbrella taking the Pi**

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my umbrella taking the Pi**

On my first contract. New to all this stuff. My hourly rate is £38per hour. Just had a pay slip for two weeks at 37.5 hours per week. Total paid by agency to umbrella was £2,850. My total pay was £1670.

It doesn't seem right. Out of the £2,850 came agency admin at £49, employer's NI at £302, (a voluntary holiday amount £32) tax at £710 and employee National Insurance at £80.

The umbrella say they have to pay the employer national insurance. If that is the case does about 10% seem right?

Is there anyone else out there who earns the same sort of rate but gets much more? I haven't submitted any expense yet but I do not see how they can make much difference as it would only be some food and a small bit of travel. (tube pass)

Thanks for any info or advice.

Originally posted by Learned Hand View Post

The umbrella say they have to pay the employer national insurance. If that is the case does about 10% seem right?
    Yes. I thought emplyers NI was 11% but I can't do maths. You'll pay income tax, employees NI and employers NI. The latter because someone has to pay it and it's sure as tulip not going to be the brolly.

Comment

go limited as if you are under an umbrella -- you pay both types of ni ===

which consultant ie agency recommended you to go for an umbrella as at the rate , your own limited would be a better option

Comment

Sounds right to me (12.8% for employer's NI). The umbrella isn't taking the piss, they're just applying the government mandated rate of tax. Whether the government is taking the piss is another matter.

With a Ltd. you should be able to keep > £4000 per month, IR35 notwithstanding.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Ermm - point of order. If you're travelling by tube, you're presumably on a dailuy commute. So how come you can claim for food? (actually I think I know, but I'm wondering if you do.)

Not a silly question either, since HMRC are starting to look at umbrella-funded expenses...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Learned Hand View Post
            Total paid by agency to umbrella was £2,850. My total pay was £1670.

It doesn't seem right.
            Seems right, based on

http://www.contractorumbrella.com/calculator.html

Comment

Welcome to the world of IR35. It's only "fair".

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                Welcome to the world of IR35. It's only "fair".
                Nope - this is welcome to the world of being an employee. It's your choice.

Nothing to do with IR35, more to do with not wanting / being able to run a business.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Having used brolly's before I'd recommend going with you're own Ltd company.

Gives you alot more control and if you find a decent accountant then you can do well and still pay everything you should do.

Comment

Originally posted by sidknows View Post
                    go limited as if you are under an umbrella -- you pay both types of ni ===
                    Do you not pay both types of Ni under a LTD co then !!! i thought you did.
                    Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Working...
                    X