• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salary/Dividends Tax threshold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salary/Dividends Tax threshold

I operate through my LTD company with my annual salary as £10500.
    My accounting firm says that the government allows £5225 to earn without paying tax.

They say £39825 is the higher rate tax threshold(34600+5225) and hence I can pay myself a maximum
    dividends of £29325(39825-10500) without crossing over to the higher tax bracket.

Is this correct?

Yes.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by aj1977 View Post
      My accounting firm says that the government allows £5225 to earn without paying tax.

They say £39825 is the higher rate tax threshold(34600+5225) and hence I can pay myself a maximum
      dividends of £29325(39825-10500) without crossing over to the higher tax bracket.

Is this correct?
      Almost. The maximum GROSS dividend you can pay before you hit the extra tax is £29325, as you have above, which includes the 10% tax credit.

I.e. you can collect 90% of that in dividends. ~£26k.
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis
        The threshold of £34,600 includes £5,225 zero tax band.
        No it doesn't.

Comment

Is this correct?
          Why not ask the accountant who told you about the £5225 personal allowance? You're already paying for their advice, ours is worth feck all.

Remember that dividend calculations must be grossed up to include the 10% tax credit, you may find yourself going into the 40% bracket before you thought.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
            No it doesn't.
            Yeah, sorry realised my mistake and deleted reply. Appologies.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
              Almost. The maximum GROSS dividend you can pay before you hit the extra tax is £29325, as you have above, which includes the 10% tax credit.

I.e. you can collect 90% of that in dividends. ~£26k.

Sorry for being Naive..Could you explain it more....I have already declared dividends so far to the tune of £X.

Now I want to declare more without hitting the upper tax threshold and hence i enquired with my accountant.I have the 10% tax credits from the accoutant for all the dividends declared so far.

So am I correct in believing that my dividend amount left before crossing the upper tax threshold is (29325 -X)??

Please guys go easy on me. I already have approached my accountant with these questions, however they have already cocked up on my previous VAT and expense calculations and hence want double confirmation(and hence this post)

Cheers

Comment

Note if you are director of you ltd company then there is no legal requirement for you to pay yourself NMW, so you are already paying tax on (10500 - 5225) that you don't need to. If you pay yourself 5225 p.a. then you can drop the extra in a dividend and you don't have to pay employers or employee's NI on that extra 5K.
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

So am I correct in believing that my dividend amount left before crossing the upper tax threshold is (29325 -X)??
                  As Mr Robin said, you need to take into account the 10% credit. The amount you can pay is 29325 / 1.1 = 26659.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Its easier to explain if I plug in some example numbers...

Say you have withdrawn £10k in dividends this tax year. That means there has also been £1,111.11 tax credit applied.

So out of the £39,825 before the higher rate tax threshold, you have £10500 in salary, £11,111 so far in dividends+tax credit so there is £18214 left for dividends+tax credit. I.e. you can withdraw £18214 x 90% = £16,393

<Neil Buchanan Mode>

Try it yourself

</Neil Buchanan Mode>

Comment

Working...
                    X