• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umberlla Pension question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umberlla Pension question

Hi all

Been speaking to a umbrella company tonight, Parasol, and they said if I wanted to make pension contributions before tax then i would have to sign up for their pension scheme and leave my exsiting one.

Is this true ?? Sounds a tad naughty to me.

Originally posted by oafc0000 View Post
    Not necessarily. The pension rules on what you can contribute to are complicated, and have changed since the last time that I looked at them in detail, but I am guessing that a pension scheme that you contribute to through your umbrella would count as an occupational pension and you are(were) only aloud to contribute to one of those at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by oafc0000 View Post
      Hi all

Been speaking to a umbrella company tonight, Parasol, and they said if I wanted to make pension contributions before tax then i would have to sign up for their pension scheme and leave my exsiting one.

Leave - no
      Stop contributing to - quite possibly. Depends on what your current arrangements are.

However, you might want to do a search. Whether you are better making gross contributions from turnover or net contributions from personal income depends very much upon your personal circumstances. However, if your income is predominantly paye it is likely that contributions from turnover are better.

Comment

Working...
      X