• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax on associated companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax on associated companies

Can anyone shed some light on this ?

I run my IT consultancy business and make a handsome profit from it but if I was to run another company ie an associated company and make a loss on it , would I be able to offset the prifits from my It consultancy co

I'm aware of the tax rules surrounding the profits of both companies but am not sure on the associaed company ruling if one makes a profit and one a loss

Answers or directions to answers would be appreciated

Not sure how to do that - I suppose company#2 could be a shareholder in company#1, thus receiving divis from company #1 (neatly sidestepping income shifting rules maybe), but company #2 would need to somehow post a loss > divis received otherwise another CT liability arises in company #2 (having already paid CT in company#1 obviously).

I'm looking at a similar idea, with company #2 being a "building" firm basically to fund some Plan B property development. Lots of research needed though.
    Last edited by moorfield; 28 February 2008, 13:43.

Comment

Ah, but........ I'm sure you'll declare and pay PAYE on every penny. It's only fair after all............
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

AFIK if you run two companies the profits can be considered together for CT purposes. Now there is no 0% band not sure it makes a lot of diifference (as you can carry forward a loss anyway to deduct from next year's profit) unless you were expecting to make a permanent loss on the 2nd.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          AFIK if you run two companies the profits can be considered together for CT purposes.
          I seem to recall being advised the opposite.

Best check with your accountant!

Comment

Whoa there!!!

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            AFIK if you run two companies the profits can be considered together for CT purposes. Now there is no 0% band not sure it makes a lot of diifference (as you can carry forward a loss anyway to deduct from next year's profit) unless you were expecting to make a permanent loss on the 2nd.
            Actually, that is not the case! If you run two companies, each company must pay tax based on their individual profits, HOWEVER,

if the companies are parent - subsidiary, or both subsidiaries of the same parent, losses incurred in one can be shared with the other to offset any taxable income in the other. This is called group relief - subsidiary must be 75% owned by the parent to qualify.

Note that the small rate corporation tax band (20% for the year end 31 March 2008), which is available on profits up to £300k, must be shared by the companies. Therefore, if there are two in the group, each will be taxed at 20% on profits up to £150k and at 32.5% on profits over £150k. If there are three in the group, the low rate band will be £100k each and so on. Holding companies that do nothing other than hold shares (and I mean absolutely nothing!) are excluded from the group for these purposes.

Note also that dividends declared by a UK subsidiary to a UK holding company are not taxable, so this is not a way to move taxable income between the companies. You could consider management fees between the companies if you have an argument to support them.

Comment

then the associated company route is not the correct one to offset losses and a group company would be more suitable to offset the losses of one company against the profits of another ?

Anyone know a good accountant ??????

Comment

Working...
              X