• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming umbrella fee as an expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming umbrella fee as an expense?

Hi there,

Does anyone claim their weekly umbrella fee as a business expense?

Cheers, Ian.

How is it a business expense? If you are using an umbrella you are not running your own business you are an employee of the umbrella company.

Comment

I would have thought the brolly fee would be deducted from the fee the agency/client pay the brolly. This would have the same effect on your take home pay as if you were able to claim it as an expense from the brolly.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        I would have thought the brolly fee would be deducted from the fee the agency/client pay the brolly. This would have the same effect on your take home pay as if you were able to claim it as an expense from the brolly.
        Nope. He's an employee of the brolly. I'd like to see him submit an expense claim to his employer for their own fees and see how far it gets...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If I recall Parasol used to deduct the fee prior to working out PAYE/NI.

If that helps?

Comment

Originally posted by spoons View Post
            If I recall Parasol used to deduct the fee prior to working out PAYE/NI.

If that helps?
            The financial contract is between the agency and the umbrella. The umbrella will take their fees out first, then pay their employee, the contractor, their salary and expenses (if any...). the umbrella fees never get anywhere near the contractor's bank account.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Nope. He's an employee of the brolly. I'd like to see him submit an expense claim to his employer for their own fees and see how far it gets...
              Wake up!

I would have thought the brolly fee would be deducted from the fee the agency/client pay the brolly.

This would have the same effect on your take home pay as if you were able to claim it as an expense from the brolly.
              At which point did I say he should submit or could submit an expense claim for the fees? If you look at parasol, they deduct their fees from the gross fees they receive.

Hah, you even said later "The umbrella will take their fees out first".

We're pointing out to the original poster that he isn't (or shouldn't be) paying his fees out of his taxed income. ( Or indeed anything that is, legally, money he has control over ).
              Last edited by NotAllThere; 5 March 2008, 14:57.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Wake up!

At which point did I say he should submit or could submit an expense claim for the fees? If you look at parasol, they deduct their fees from the gross fees they receive.

Hah, you even said later "The umbrella will take their fees out first".

We're pointing out to the original poster that he isn't (or shouldn't be) paying his fees out of his taxed income. ( Or indeed anything that is, legally, money he has control over ).
                Yeah, I get the point. The OP was asking if he could claim his already paid up fees as a business expense though, wasn't he...?

Hey, it's been a long day...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                X